Cannot grab some of the values from a form

Jack

Hi, I got a simple form where one needs to input data. The data
is being processed in an asp page.
However, I cannot figure out why couple of values I am typing in the form
is not being retrived in the asp processing page. Instead it shows as a null
value.

Any help is appreciated. I have attached the major code for the form, the
processing page
and output on the screen including sql output.
Any help is appreciated. Regards.

FORM CODE:

<TABLE border = 0 width= "80%" >
<TR>
<TD>
<INPUT id=chk_0
name = chk_0
type = hidden>
<B><Font size = 2 color=darkblue>Add</font></B>
</TD>
<TD>
<INPUT type = "text" size = 12
value = ""
name = "ID_0"
style = "FONT-SIZE: 10">
</TD>
<TD>
<INPUT type = "text" size = 12
value = ""
name = "date_0"
style = "FONT-SIZE: 10">
</TD>
<TD>
<INPUT type = "text" size = 12
value = ""
name = "contractedserviceexpense_0"
style = "FONT-SIZE: 10">
</TD>
<TD>
<INPUT type = "text" size = 12
value = ""
name ="travelexpense_0"
style = "FONT-SIZE: 10">
</TD>
<TD>
<INPUT type = "text" size = 12
value = ""
name = "personnelexpense_0"
style = "FONT-SIZE: 10">
</TD>
</TR>

PROCESSING CODE:

l_ENO = Request.Form("ID_0")

Response.Write l_ENO & "<br>"

l_Date = Request.Form("date_0")

Response.Write l_Date & "<br>"

l_ContracedServiceExpense =
Request.Form("contractedserviceexpense_0")

Response.Write l_contractedserviceexpense

l_TravelExpense = Request.Form("travelexpense_0")

Response.Write l_travelexpense & "<br>"

l_PersonnelExpense = Request.Form("personnelexpense_0")

Response.Write l_personnel & "<br>"

'Create the UPDATE SQL STATEMENT

sql = " INSERT INTO tblExpense (ENO, Date,
ContractedServiceExpense, "
sql = sql & "TravelExpense, PersonnelExpense)"
sql = sql & " VALUES('" & l_ENO & "' , '" & l_Date & "', '" &
l_contractedserviceexpense & "', '" & l_travelexpense & "', '" &
personnelexpense & "')"
Response.Write sql & "<BR>"

OUTPUT FROM THE PROCESSED ASP PAGE

1

03/29/2005

5

INSERT INTO tblExpense (ENO, Date, ContractedServiceExpense, TravelExpense,
PersonnelExpense) VALUES('1' , '03/29/2005', '', '5', '')

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Jack, again, you really need to use OPTION EXPLICIT at the top of your
pages. Your variable names have typos. Option Explicit would have informed
you of this immediately.

l_ContracedServiceExpense = Request.Form("contractedserviceexpense_0")
^^^
Response.Write l_contractedserviceexpense
^^^

Also, you use "l_personnel" in one spot, but you are giving the form value
to a variable named "l_PersonnelExpense."
Option Explit would have alerted you to that as well.

Ray at work

Jack

Thanks Ray for pointing that out. My bad habits are getting better of my
intentions. Next time probably, I will not end up with the same kind of
'silly' mistake.
Regards.