cannot start projects

SpaceMarine

hello,

im experiencing a weird problem on one of my dev machines, but not the
other (they both access the same projects via VSS). on the problematic
machine, any attempts to start a web project (in either debug or
without) debugging fail. an error pops up:

Configuration system failed to initialize

....i can click OK and thats it, no site runs.

ive tried with a brand new fresh project. ive also tried in VS.NET
2005, same error. 2005 *used* to work fine -- until i installed .NET
3.5 SP1 and VS.NET 2008. i had a lot of trouble but finally got them
working (.NET 3.0 SP1 was having problems...finally used the .NET
Cleanup Tool to fix it).

ive been googling this all day. for a lot of people this problem is in
webservices or non-web apps. the probem is also related to their
Settings (right-click the web project, Properties -> Settings). there
you can add configuration settings. well, im not even using a settings
file. and creating one doesnt fix the problem.

im out of options! hate to reformat.... anybody seen this?

thanks,
matt

Guest

[...]

if I were you I would try to reinstall 1) .net framework 2 and 2)
VS.NET 2005 (if #1 does not help)

SpaceMarine

i found the solution. i didnt notice it immediately but i noticed a
non-build error in the HTML editor:

Unrecognized configuration section system.serviceModel

<system.serviceModel> was an element in the machine.config -- new i
presume from the 3.5 install. its appears to be for WCF and not
necessary for ASP.NET:

http://forums.asp.net/t/1180694.aspx

.....removing it from my machine.config fixed the problem.

man...so much time wasted uninstalling and re-installing EVERYTHING!
argh.

thanks,
sm

Guest

i found the solution. i didnt notice it immediately but i noticed a
non-build error in the HTML editor:

Unrecognized configuration section system.serviceModel

<system.serviceModel> was an element in the machine.config -- new i
presume from the 3.5 install. its appears to be for WCF and not
necessary for ASP.NET:

http://forums.asp.net/t/1180694.aspx

....removing it from my machine.config fixed the problem.

man...so much time wasted uninstalling and re-installing EVERYTHING!
argh.

thanks,
sm

Glad it works now. Thanks for posting this here