Can't add Data Connection to VS2008

Cirene

I want to add a new data connection to VS 2008 Server Explorer. It is a
remote SQL Server 2000 database.

I fill out the Data source, server name, SQL Server Auth un/pw, and select
the DB fine. I can even successfully test the connection. But when I click
OK I get...

"Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the
operation or the server is not responding."

I increased the timeout to 60 sec but still the same error.

Any ideas? Since I can test teh connection fine doesn't that mean that this
should work?