Can't connect to MS Exchange (SMTP) from WinXP

Miki Tebeka

Hello All,

I can't connect to our Excahnge server using smtplib from a WinXP box.
Connection to the same server from a Linux box works.

The code:
from smtplib import SMTP
s = SMTP("our-mail-server")

Works fine on Linux but gives the following error in WinXP:
raceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\cygwin\tmp\smtpchk", line 5, in ?
s = SMTP("our-mail-server")
File "C:\apps\Python23\lib\smtplib.py", line 240, in __init__
(code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
File "C:\apps\Python23\lib\smtplib.py", line 302, in connect
raise socket.error, msg
socket.error: (10053, 'Software caused connection abort')

Any ideas?

Thanks.

jack horsfield

Hello All,

I can't connect to our Excahnge server using smtplib from a WinXP box.
Connection to the same server from a Linux box works.

The code:
from smtplib import SMTP
s = SMTP("our-mail-server")

Works fine on Linux but gives the following error in WinXP:
raceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\cygwin\tmp\smtpchk", line 5, in ?
s = SMTP("our-mail-server")
File "C:\apps\Python23\lib\smtplib.py", line 240, in __init__
(code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
File "C:\apps\Python23\lib\smtplib.py", line 302, in connect
raise socket.error, msg
socket.error: (10053, 'Software caused connection abort')

Any ideas?

Thanks.

is your antivirus software blocking the SMTP port (25)? McAfee 8.0i does so
by default...

jack
Good Morning! said Bilbo, and he meant it

Miki Tebeka

Hello jack,

[Miki]
I can't connect to our Excahnge server using smtplib from a WinXP box.
Connection to the same server from a Linux box works.
[Jack]
is your antivirus software blocking the SMTP port (25)? McAfee 8.0i does so
by default...
Yap. Our McAfee was just upgraded to 8.0i.

Thanks.