Can't debug?

Bob Altman

Hi all,

I'm a very experienced VB.Net developer just starting to climb up the
ASP.Net learning curve. I followed a couple of the beginning "how to"
tutorials included with the MSDN docs, but I've run into a problem that I
can't figure out. When I run my simple ASP.Net web app under the debugger,
it doesn't stop at any breakpoints.

Here are the details: I'm using VS 2005 Team Suite SP1. I created the
solution by selecting "Create: Website" from the start page and selecting
the "ASP.Net Web Site" template. The first time I tried running under
debug, I got a polite message telling me that I needed to uncheck the
"Disable script debugging" setting in Internet Properties, which I did.
That made the message go away, but that didn't help. I've checked my
web.config file and it contains

<compilation debug="true" strict="true" explicit="true"/>

When I press F5, Visual Studio looks like its starting to run under debug,
but then my web page is displayed and breakpoints are simply ignored. (The
red ball next to the breakpoint is filled in, indicating that the debugger
is happy with that line. And I know it has to be executing that line
because I see the result on my web page.) Another strange behavior is that
the part of the VS text editor that was occluded by my web page when it was
displayed is not redrawn correctly, leading me to suspect that VS is somehow
unnaturally unhappy with something I'm doing.

Any suggestions?

TIA - Bob

Bob Altman

The red ball next to the breakpoint is filled in, indicating that the
debugger is happy with that line.

Ok, that's a red herring. When I press F5, the Visual Studio IDE changes as
though it is beginning to run under debug, but by the time my web page is
displayed the debugger appears to have terminated. That is, the IDE is
ready for me to resume editing, and the Debug->Run menu item is again
available. That's why the breakpoint is displayed as a solid red ball --
it's being displayed in "edit" mode, not in "debugger is running" mode.

But even though the IDE is back in "edit" mode, my web page is still being
displayed by the ASP.Net Development Server as though I had pressed ctrl-F5
rather than F5.

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

Hi Bob,

Welcome Microsoft Newsgroup Support Service! My name is Hongye Sun [MSFT].
It's my pleasure to work with your on this issue.

Based on my understanding of your issue, I know that your problem is that
in your machine F5 shortcut key works exactly the same as Ctrl-F5 when you
are developing ASP.NET project. It is strange that I have tried to create a
new website and debug it as the same as what you have described, but I
cannot reproduce the situation that you had. What I did are:
1. Reset me development settings to VB development settings. Since you have
experience on VB, I suppose you are using this setting.
2. Create a new ASP.NET website from startup page.
3. Change the Web.config file to "<compilation debug="true" strict="true"
explicit="true" />"
4. Edit Default.aspx.vb file to override onload event:
Partial Class _Default
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Protected Overrides Sub OnLoad(ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
MyBase.OnLoad(e)
Response.Write("Test")
End Sub
End Class
5. Set breakpoint at Response.Write("Test"), and press F5.
Finally the breakpoint hits.
Please let me know if there is any difference than what I have did.

In order to narrow down the problem, would you please help us to try the
following actions:
1. Reset your VS 2005 settings, you can do it by opening menu Tools /
Import and Export Settings, and select Reset all settings click Next, and
choose to back up your settings and click next again, choose the VB
Development Settings and click Finish.
2. Right click the website project and click property pages, select Start
Options, make sure the ASP.NET debugger is checked and use default web
server.

Bob, please try the actions and let me know whether it works for you. If
you have any other concerns or questions, please DON'T hesitate to tell me.

Regards,
Hongye Sun ([email protected], remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

Evertjan.

on 25 aug 2008 in
Welcome Microsoft Newsgroup Support Service! My name is Hongye Sun
[MSFT]. It's my pleasure to work with your on this issue.

This is not the Microsoft Newsgroup Support Service but Usenet, Hongye.
Based on my understanding of your issue, I know that your problem is
that in your machine F5 shortcut key works exactly the same as Ctrl-F5
when you are developing ASP.NET project. I [..]

And this NG is specialized in classic ASP,
so please do not use it for ASP.NET questions.

Misusing Usenet is detrimental to this NG and to the Microsoft name.

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

I really thank you for correcting my fault, Evertjan.

This NG is specialized in classic ASP programming. And it is improper to
discuss ASP.NET here.

Hi Bob, in the future, for all ASP.NET issues, I would suggest posting in
the newsgroup below:

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most
qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who the newsgroups
regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction
with us. Thank you for your understanding.

After you create a new post, we can continue on your issue. Have a nice day.

Regards,
Hongye Sun ([email protected], remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

(e-mail address removed).

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed)
("Hongye Sun [MSFT]") writing in

Here's a little bit more to mull over, Hongye:
I really thank you for correcting my fault, Evertjan.

Please quote the relevant portion of the post to which you are
responding. The original message might not be available on my server,
so in order to know what you are on about, you would have to quote that
relavent portion.
After you create a new post, we can continue on your issue. Have a
nice day.

You could cross post this message (with appropriate quoting and
trimming) to the appropriate group and set followups to that group.
Regards,
Hongye Sun ([email protected], remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments
and suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to
you. Please feel free to let my manager know what you think of the
level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my
manager at: (e-mail address removed).

rights.

An acceptable signature should be two dashes and a space followed by a
carriage return with no more than 4 lines of text.

Bob Altman

This NG is specialized in classic ASP programming. And it is improper to
discuss ASP.NET here.

Hi Bob, in the future, for all ASP.NET issues, I would suggest posting in
the newsgroup below:

No problem...