Can't debug?

Bob Altman

Hi all,

I originally posted this question microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general.
Since this is an ASP.Net question (well, actually, it's a Visual Studio
question, but that's splitting hairs), I was told to re-post the question in
this NG. I actually think that I've found an answer to the question myself,
but in case someone saw the original message thread and comes here looking
for the resolution I'll post the original question and what I think is the
answer...
I'm a very experienced VB.Net developer just starting to climb up
the ASP.Net learning curve. I followed a couple of the beginning
"how to" tutorials included with the MSDN docs, but I've run into
a problem that I can't figure out. When I run my simple ASP.Net
web app under the debugger, it doesn't stop at any breakpoints.

I'm using VS 2005 Team Suite SP1. I created the solution by
selecting "Create: Website" from the start page and selecting
the "ASP.Net Web Site" template.
[snip]

The one thing that I didn't include in my original question was the small
detail that I'm running this on Vista. When I run Visual Studio as
Administrator then the debugger works correctly. This could be either
because I do, in fact, need to run with admin credentials to get the web
debugger to work, or it could be that some Visual Studio setting is
different between the admin and non-admin users.

I haven't yet had a reason to install VS 2008 anywhere. Does VS 2008 have
any of the Windows Vista compatibility problems that VS 2005 has? If not
then I'll just install it and be done with it.

TIA - Bob

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting your answer. It is very useful to us. I am Hongye
Sun(MSFT) and we have already talked in another NG before.

I have did a test against VS2008 SP1 on Windows Vista Enterprise with a
non-administrator account, and it did work correctly.

For VS2005, I successfully reproduced the strange behavior in Vista. Other
than the solution you provided to run VS2005 as administrator, you can also
manually attach the debugger to the process which hosts the web server
after the web application starts. It works for me, too.

Another workaround is from someone else in the forum who had the similar
problem already: http://forums.asp.net/p/1078163/1592315.aspx#1592315. As
one suggested, alternatively, using Explorer navigate to where you
installed visual studio and locate the devenv.exe. Right click on it and
choose properties. In the Properties dialog, select the Compatibility tab.
Towards the bottom you will see a checkbox with the title "Run this program
as an Administrator". Check this box and click OK. In this way, you can
force the user to run VS2005 as administrator.

Hope it helps.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance. Have a nice day.

Regards,
Hongye Sun ([email protected], remove 'online.') Microsoft
Online Community Support

(e-mail address removed).

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

Hongye Sun [MSFT]