Can't locate object method ... utf8_heavy.pl

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Brad Baxter, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. Brad Baxter

    Brad Baxter Guest

    Hello,

    This is perl, v5.6.1 built for sun4-solaris.

    I'm getting the following error:

    Can't locate object method "ToLower" via package "main" (perhaps you
    forgot to load "main"?) at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/utf8_heavy.pl line
    30.

    I've narrowed it down to this line (in a much longer program):

    lc $term;

    where $term eq 'id aarl001-003 ' (as far as I've been able to determine).

    I'm not able to duplicate this error with a short program, so I feel it
    must have to do with modules I've used. But I'm having a heck of a time
    tracking it down. I'll show more code if it will help, but I'm wondering
    if this is a familiar situation and might have a simple explanation.

    I've looked at perldoc -f lc, the perllocale manpage, the utf8 manpage,
    and google groups, and I've done various experiments, but I've gotten to
    where I'm just shooting in the dark, I'm afraid.

    Can anyone provide some hints how I might track this down?

    Thanks,

    Brad

    Brad Baxter, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Brad Baxter

    Ben Morrow Guest

    My guess would be that this string actually has some utf8 characters in
    it, or has had at some point in the past. If you need to do Unicode
    work, you would be *much* better off with 5.8; alternatively, if you are
    acquiring unicode strings by accident you may be able to help things
    with a 'use bytes' in various strategic places.

    Not having 5.6 installed, can you post line 30 (with a decent amount of
    context) of /.../utf8_heavy.pl?

    Ben

    Ben Morrow, Sep 1, 2004