Can't make usercontrol visible

Guest

Hi
I've got a couple user controls on a Mater Page. One of then I don't want to
be shown on the screen until the user logs in. So I set the visible property
to false, and during a Masterpage custom event (kicked off by a login user
control) I needed to set the visible property of the control to true, but
after the page finishs rendering, the sontrol is not visible. What can cause
this problem. I also tried setting the visible property within a public
function of the user control and it still won't show.
I also tried diabling the controls within the usercontrol until the user
logs in, but I try and set the enabled properties of the controls, they still
appear to be disabled.
Whats going on? The user control in questions is not databound. If you have
any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks
Mike