Can't read the content of a cell programmatically

David

In the event handler for ItemCommand, I am trying to read text of cells in
the row programmatically, but can't get it working.

//this is what I have in InitializeComponent
this.dgList.ItemCommand += new
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventHandler(this.dgList_Command);

//this is the event handler.
private void dgList_Command(object sender, DataGridCommandEventArgs e)
{
if(e.CommandName == "View")
{
Response.Write(e.Item.Cells.Count);
Response.Write(e.Item.Cells[0].Text);

When the button is command button is pressed, I am trying to read the text
in the first cell (e.Item.Cells[0].text), but nothing is showing up. I do
see that it recognizes eItem.Cells.Count and shows the number of cells as
expected. But I do I read the contents of the cell in that row?

PS: I don't have Visual Studio 03 installed. Could this be a bug?

David

Here is a follow up comment.

I can set the text, and read what I set, but still can't read what is
initially there. What is going on here?????

//this line shows nothing. What? The text is there.
Response.Write(e.Item.Cells[0].Text);

//this line will set the text of the first cell to "Good"
e.Item.Cells[0].Text="Good";

//And this line outputs "Good"
Response.Write(e.Item.Cells[0].Text);