can't start a web app in VS.NET

M D

I can create files and folders in wwwroot but VS.NET fails, assumedly
for lack of access, in opening a new web app. Interestingly, I have no
access to the text box containing the application name in the new
project form when set to web applications and the default
"WebApplication1" name disappears when I browse for a location taking
the [OK] button with it.

This is Windows peer-to-peer (there is no domain) between a 2000
workstation and a 2000 developement server.

What gives?

thx
md