Can't use membership provider wizard (Web Site Admin Tool)

Darrel

I've been sucked into Sharepoint land for about 6 months and just trying to
climb back out and get back into ASP.net 2.0 work.

I have a new install of VS2005 on my machine. I've created a new web site.
Added a DB (SQL Express) and try to run Web Site Administration Tool to set
up the membership roles.

However, when I click on the SECURITY tab, I get this error:

----------------------

There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an
invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can
also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the
button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data
store.

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: The connection
name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or the
connection string is empty.
(C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line
119)

----------------------

Google isn't turning up a whole lot, though it seems to pointing at some
permissions issue somewhere. I'm not sure what/where the problem is, though.
I assume I'm missing an obvious step somewhere that's just not-so-obvious to
me. ;o)

-Darrel

MasterGaurav \(www.edujini-labs.com\)

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: The connection
name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or
the connection string is empty.
(C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line
119)

Just check if an entry for "LocalSqlServer" in <connectionStrings> exists or
not.

--
Cheers,
Gaurav Vaish

Darrel

Just check if an entry for "LocalSqlServer" in said:

I KNEW it'd be something simple like that. Thanks!

Of course, this raises the question...if VS2005 can automate the DB creation
using SQL Express and automate the setting up of user accounts via the
membership provider wizard, why can't it at the very least add the
connection string for me? ;0)

-Darrel

MasterGaurav \(www.edujini-labs.com\)

Of course, this raises the question...if VS2005 can automate the DB
creation using SQL Express and automate the setting up of user accounts
via the membership provider wizard, why can't it at the very least add the
connection string for me? ;0)

Well, VS2005 never does anything like that for you.
It's on the .Net Framework SDK tools that do for you :)

--
Cheers,
Gaurav Vaish