Capture an Event in a composite control From control on a page

gdick

In the most simple terms assume we have a Composite WebServer control

This Composite Control (CC) is just a "label"

private Label _lblCommissionType;

Controls.Clear();

this._lblCommissionType = new Label();
this._lblCommissionType.Text ="Premium: ";
this.Controls.Add(_lblCommissionType);

EnsureChildControls();
_lblCommissionType.RenderControl(writer);

}

I want to add an Event Handler to this CC which captures the event
SelectedIndexChanged in a standard DropDownList drawn beside it on the
page. i.e.
DropDownList1

When the Event is captured I want to change the text of the (CC) label

Please Help -- just ask for more details if required

C#
VS.NET 2003
..NET v1.1

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

if DropDownList is not inside the composite control, it doesn't make sense
for it to wire for the DropDownList's SelectedIndexChanged, since that would
make it always dependant of DDL on page. Instead you would expose Text
property from this composite control. Then handle DropDownList's
selectedIndexChanged on page and set the Text there. Unless your composite
control tries to address the need to have them together, of course.

However, it might make more sense, if you have the DropDownList in this very
same composite control, when accessing it inside the control would be very
easy. Another way is to define some "AssociatedDropDownListID" property in
the composite control, to which ID of the DropDownList is given. Composite
control could run Page.FindControl etc with the ID to get reference to the
DropDownList and use it, that's another way.