catch IE download window event

Guest

Hi

When the user clicks the download button on my aspx page, the file (pdf)
downloaded from my server another drive. Once he clicks the button, I
inserted the record on one of table. after that the IE will ask do you want
to open or cancel, the user may click cancel button. so in this situtation, i
need to insert the record on table once the user click save button. if the
user clicks the cancel, I should not insert the records. how to catch that
event. any idea?

and also i have the file name like "file, user.pdf". when using Firefox, its
just display the "file," on downloading window. is it any chance to resolve
this?

below is the code i am using for downlading the file.

thanks
bala

Private Sub DownloadFile(ByVal fname As String, ByVal forceDownload As
Boolean)
Dim path1 As String = fname
Dim name As String = Path.GetFileName(path1)

Dim ext As String = Path.GetExtension(path1)
'Dim type As String = "Application/pdf"
Response.ContentType = "Application/pdf"
If forceDownload Then
Response.AppendHeader("content-disposition", "attachment;
filename=" & name)
Else
Response.AppendHeader("content-disposition", "inline;
filename=" & name)
End If
Dim MyFileStream As FileStream
Dim FileSize As Long

MyFileStream = New FileStream(fname, FileMode.Open)
FileSize = MyFileStream.Length

Dim Buffer(CInt(FileSize)) As Byte
MyFileStream.Read(Buffer, 0, CInt(FileSize))
MyFileStream.Close()
Response.BinaryWrite(Buffer)

Response.End()
End Sub

Bruce Barker

you can't. if you need this feature, you need to supply an active/x control
that does the download, and gives the notification.

note: IE downloads the file to the cache, then asks the question. even if
you say canel, you can access the file from the cache.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)