Centred headers browsed at Firefox

Steve Pugh

Luigi said:
But there might still be people having some old computers.

Only capable of displaying 256 colours? Yes there may be some in the
third world. In the European market you target your site at? A
negligible number.

Anyway, web safe colours were never as important as most people think.
Not for text/backgrounds anyway. So long as there's strong contrast
between the foreground and background then even if the colours get
shifted a little the text will still be readable. The web safe palette
was slightly more important when creating GIFs but I still wouldn't
worry about it any more.
I have a different problem just now.
Do you happen to know why Google shows this map of Italy (ITALY.gif
300 x 328 pixlar - 25k)
which is on my
website without writing the complete adress of the source?
http://images.google.se/images?q=karta+Italien&hl=sv

Start a new thread then. This has nothing to do with "Centred headers
browsed at Firefox" anymore. But, free clue, look at all the other
images on that results page, what (totally pointless feature) does your
URL have different?

Steve

rf

Steve said:
Anyway, web safe colours were never as important as most people think.
Not for text/backgrounds anyway. So long as there's strong contrast
between the foreground and background then even if the colours get
shifted a little the text will still be readable.
True.

The web safe palette
was slightly more important when creating GIFs but I still wouldn't
worry about it any more.

The "web safe" palette was *considerably* more important for gifs.

Display two gifs on a page, neither of which use the "safe" palette.

The first gif fills the palette with its colours.

The second gifs colours cannot fit the palette. The GUI has to use the
nearest colours that are there.

This might result in, for example, #bbbbbb being mapped to #ccaacc. The two
colours, while not too different numerically (and a reasonably close and
lucky "guess" buy the rasteriser) are *significantly* different visually.
Your stormy grey sky is suddenly a late evening sunset.

More often #bbbbbb would be mapped to something like #cc2222.

Jpegs simply do not work with an 8 bit palette, even by themselves.

Of interest is that only two (#000 and #fff) of the "web safe" colours can
be displayed accurately by a 15 or 16 bit graphics card. Safe? :)

However all of this is, in the computer field, ancient history and can
safely ignored.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Steve Pugh said:
Only capable of displaying 256 colours? Yes there may be some in the
third world.

In the European market you target your site at?
Just now. But I have begun writing the Chinese and the Russian version (
very little so far) and
1) tourists wishing to rent a holiday lodging in Italy or in Sweden might
also live overseas, for example in China or Venezuela.
2) I am considering to get in touch with Chinese companies, for example, so
I am interested that they look at my website
negligible number.

Anyway, web safe colours were never as important as most people think.
Not for text/backgrounds anyway. So long as there's strong contrast
between the foreground and background then even if the colours get
shifted a little the text will still be readable. The web safe palette
was slightly more important when creating GIFs but I still wouldn't
worry about it any more.
Is it important as well that the colours are soft colours?
Start a new thread then. This has nothing to do with "Centred headers
browsed at Firefox" anymore. But, free clue, look at all the other
images on that results page, what (totally pointless feature) does your
URL have different?

There is no URL here under the image!

http://images.google.se/images?q=karta+Italien&hl=sv

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
In the European market you target your site at?
Just now. But I have begun writing the Chinese and the Russian version (
very little so far) and
1) tourists wishing to rent a holiday lodging in Italy or in Sweden might
also live overseas, for example in China or Venezuela.

This refers to for example advertising and intermediation for rent of
holiday lodgings.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)

kchayka

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

[re: supposed reasons to use 'web safe' colors]
1) tourists wishing to rent a holiday lodging in Italy or in Sweden might
also live overseas, for example in China or Venezuela.

They are well-off enough to afford such a holiday, but not well-off
enough to have a PC that supports 16-bit color? Hmmm...

Steve Pugh

Luigi said:
Is it important as well that the colours are soft colours?
No.

There is no URL here under the image!

http://images.google.se/images?q=karta+Italien&hl=sv

Yes, that's what you were complaining about.

I gave you a clue as to why that might be - your site is https and all
the other sites on that list of results are http.

You have previously asked for possible problems with using https and
ignored the problems given by respondents. Well, here's a new one.

Steve

Jonathan N. Little

kchayka said:
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

[re: supposed reasons to use 'web safe' colors]

1) tourists wishing to rent a holiday lodging in Italy or in Sweden might
also live overseas, for example in China or Venezuela.

They are well-off enough to afford such a holiday, but not well-off
enough to have a PC that supports 16-bit color? Hmmm...

If they have a 8-bit card what are the odds they have a 17in or greater
monitor!! :-D So concerned with web safe colors yet dismiss flexible
design with respect to window size...go figure!

Luigi Donatello Asero

kchayka said:
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

[re: supposed reasons to use 'web safe' colors]
1) tourists wishing to rent a holiday lodging in Italy or in Sweden might
also live overseas, for example in China or Venezuela.

They are well-off enough to afford such a holiday, but not well-off
enough to have a PC that supports 16-bit color? Hmmm...

Not so strange.
In China only a part of population is probably well-off enough to go on
holiday overseas today but
these people may hear about the website by other Chinese who have a PC that
supports
16-bit color...
Italy is an industrialized country but there is probably a much lower
percentage
Internet users than in Sweden

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)

Luigi Donatello Asero

Steve Pugh said:

What about eyes complaining about sharp colours and strong contrasts?
Yes, that's what you were complaining about.

I gave you a clue as to why that might be - your site is https and all
the other sites on that list of results are http.

You have previously asked for possible problems with using https and
ignored the problems given by respondents. Well, here's a new one.

I would not necessarily see it as a problem. I can simply write the name of
the images files which I do not want Google to display.
Should Google go on displaying them, I can protect them by password and
give the password to users only after they have got in touch with me.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)

Luigi Donatello Asero

Jonathan N. Little said:
kchayka said:
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

[re: supposed reasons to use 'web safe' colors]

But there might still be people having some old computers.

1) tourists wishing to rent a holiday lodging in Italy or in Sweden might
also live overseas, for example in China or Venezuela.

They are well-off enough to afford such a holiday, but not well-off
enough to have a PC that supports 16-bit color? Hmmm...

If they have a 8-bit card what are the odds they have a 17in or greater
monitor!! :-D So concerned with web safe colors yet dismiss flexible
design with respect to window size...go figure!

Perhaps you are right on this point. But on the other side I do not find
good to worry about everything in life at the same time...
Besides your solution does not seem to suit changing alternative
descriptions for different photos with place, region, municipality and so
on.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)

dorayme

From: Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
I don't think it's going to be nominated for any Oscars...

A more relevant negative property is this: it was /not/
embedded, I am a bit convinced by Spartanicus' arguments on
this. I have always previously embedded as I have had difficulty
imagining how my films would not be wanted to be seen
immediately...

But good-practice considerations are something I am trialing
and using more. I want to have a go at preparing films for
streaming too, though I must say, streaming video is not good on
dial-up in spite of alleged provision for it in settings at
either end, the maker or the receiver.

I like Spartanicus' idea of providing simple links as well as
streaming options (neatly triggerable on the "film poster cum
movie environment pic").

Boji, please, did you see it in QT or in some other player?

dorayme

Steve Pugh

What about eyes complaining about sharp colours and strong contrasts?

Strong contrast is good. It aids legibility. Regardless of whether you
adhere to the 1990s voodoo cult that is the web safe palette you should
aim for strong contrats between your foreground and background colours.

"Sharp" colours have nothing to do with using the web safe palette.
There are lots of ugly colour schemes that can be made with the web
safe palette and lots of ugly colour schemes that can be made without
it. And there are lots of nice colour schemes that can be made with it
and lots more that can be made without it.
I would not necessarily see it as a problem.

Nor would I. Who cares whether the URL is on that results page or not?
If they actually care, the user can find out which site the image comes
from by clicking on it anyway.
I can simply write the name of
the images files which I do not want Google to display.

I assume you're talking about using robots.txt?

What exactly are you worrying about here? The fact that Google indexes
your images or the fact that it doesn't display your page URL on the
results page?

You started off complaining about the URL not being shown but now you
seem to be against the indexing as a whole.

robots.txt is the answer if you want to avoid indexing.

Dropping the pointless[1] https will probably solve the URL display
issue.
Should Google go on displaying them, I can protect them by password and
give the password to users only after they have got in touch with me.

Is it really worth it to put more obstacles in the way of your
visitors? It's just a run of the mill map, not the recipe for Coca
Cola. Pick the fights worth fighting.

[1] And yes it is pointless, regardless of your "very important freedom
of speech opinion"; because your opinion doesn't change the facts, and
the fact is that using https for ordinary content is totally, utterly,
pointless; but you'll probably carry on your pig headed, stubborn,
stupid way and insist that your opinion is equally valid[2] and more
correct than the many years worth of experience of all the hundreds of
people who maintain multi-million pound/euro/dollar web sites.

[2] For some reason I'm reminded of the Intelligent Design morons and
their "teach the controversy" scam to sneak creationism into school
science lessons by the back doors. Of course it's important to value
other people's opinions and views even when they're nothing but a bunch
of fairy tales with no basis in hard facts.

Oh that felt good.

Steve

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
A more relevant negative property is this: it was /not/
embedded, I am a bit convinced by Spartanicus' arguments on
this. I have always previously embedded as I have had difficulty
imagining how my films would not be wanted to be seen
immediately...

But good-practice considerations are something I am trialing
and using more. I want to have a go at preparing films for
streaming too, though I must say, streaming video is not good on
dial-up in spite of alleged provision for it in settings at
either end, the maker or the receiver.

I like Spartanicus' idea of providing simple links as well as
streaming options (neatly triggerable on the "film poster cum
movie environment pic").

Truly, a clickable link is much preferable to being *forced* to abort
something I'm not sure of (-which is what I do in the extant
situations.)
Boji, please, did you see it in QT or in some other player?

QT in IE, which must be mimed because it popped-up (-in?) automatically
and played once The Australian Goosestep was fully loaded.

Steve Pugh

Luigi said:
In China only a part of population is probably well-off
enough to go on holiday overseas today but
these people may hear about the website by other Chinese
who have a PC that supports 16-bit color...

Have you made arrangements to mirror your site on a Chinese server to
get around the bandwidth bottleneck that affects Chinese users
accessing sites outside of China? There simply aren't enough cables
connecting China's internet with the rest of the world.

BTW does Italy have approved destination status from the Chinese
government? I only ask because it was a big deal when the UK got that
status at the start of this year.

Steve

Luigi Donatello Asero

Steve Pugh said:
Have you made arrangements to mirror your site on a Chinese server to
get around the bandwidth bottleneck that affects Chinese users
accessing sites outside of China? There simply aren't enough cables
connecting China's internet with the rest of the world.

BTW does Italy have approved destination status from the Chinese
government? I only ask because it was a big deal when the UK got that
status at the start of this year.

Steve

As far as I know it was an agreement between the EU as a whole and China and
I there seem to be already information available in Chinese about many
Italian hotels.
--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/en/holiday-lodgings.php

kchayka

Luigi said:
In China only a part of population is probably well-off enough to go on
holiday overseas today

That is true anywhere, not just China.
but
these people may hear about the website by other Chinese who have a PC that
supports
16-bit color...

So what? Trust me, no one is going to your web site to admire the color
scheme, so it doesn't matter whether they have 8-bit color or 32-bit.
Italy is an industrialized country but there is probably a much lower
percentage
Internet users than in Sweden

Even if that is true, why would it be relevant? Don't bother answering,
it probably wouldn't make sense anyway.

dorayme

From: "Steve Pugh said:
I'm reminded of the Intelligent Design morons and
their "teach the controversy" scam to sneak creationism into school
science lessons by the back doors. Of course it's important to value
other people's opinions and views even when they're nothing but a bunch
of fairy tales with no basis in hard facts.

Yes, the appeal to freedom of speech and to being open-minded is
often quite misguided. It is often better to have closed one's
mind on some things. Seriously. Like on the subject of your
example. About valuing opinion though, maybe some opinions are
only valuable in one sense: it is important to allow them to be
expressed in some places (preferably not in science classes).

dorayme

It is not like you, Mr Pugh, to let go so passionately? Luigi
has weaved his magic spell on you too. Who would have thought it
possible! He is a very very powerful wizard...

Luigi Donatello Asero

Steve Pugh said:
Strong contrast is good. It aids legibility.
Soft colours seem to be better for my eyes, they seem to get tired after a
longer time watching them rather than sharp contrast although sharp contrast
can be more readable.

Regardless of whether you
adhere to the 1990s voodoo cult that is the web safe palette you should
aim for strong contrats between your foreground and background colours.

"Sharp" colours have nothing to do with using the web safe palette.
There are lots of ugly colour schemes that can be made with the web
safe palette and lots of ugly colour schemes that can be made without
it. And there are lots of nice colour schemes that can be made with it
and lots more that can be made without it.

Nor would I. Who cares whether the URL is on that results page or not?
If they actually care, the user can find out which site the image comes
from by clicking on it anyway.

To clarify: I do not think it is good that no URL adress is shown.
The adress should include "https" and the domain name, the file extension is
not important.
For example
https://scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/.....
But Google did not do that, so I began writing some images in the file
robots.txt so that Google would not pick them up at all.
I would not see it necessarily as a a problem because it is up to search
engines whether they want to register the site or not.
It is much more important that the website suits "my" users´needs.

I assume you're talking about using robots.txt?

What exactly are you worrying about here? The fact that Google indexes
your images or the fact that it doesn't display your page URL on the
results page?

See above. The best thing had been if Google had reported the URL as I did
myself in the example above if the problem was that the adress is too long.
You started off complaining about the URL not being shown but now you
seem to be against the indexing as a whole.

robots.txt is the answer if you want to avoid indexing.

Dropping the pointless[1] https will probably solve the URL display
issue.

I do not want to do that. I find https useful and perhaps I shall create a
part of the site for registered users.
This will be protected by password and thanks to https it will be more
difficult for a third part to get to know the password when the user write
it,
won´t it?
So, I prefer to have a https connection.
If search engines have problems with that, they do not need take my site.
If they can solve these problems, they can insert it in the search results.
[cut]