Certification training in greater NYC area?

dr3212333

Any recommendations for Java certification classes in the greater NYC
(Northern NJ) area? Quality, Cost and job placement services are all
in the mix.

I've been doing C code and want to move with the times.

It seems I need the Sun Certified Programmer first and then
One of the J2EE tracks... Since I haven't done any web programming,
should I do the Business Component Developer?
Since SOA is big nowadays, am I wasting my time and should be doing
Developer for Java Web Services instead (or also)?

yakovfain

It's not clear what are you looking for. If you've learned Java
already, just buy a couple of books on certification and find some free
mock test online. But if you need to learn the language, you may
consider my two-day weekend seminar on Java basics (I'll be running it
in NYC in November see http://www.weekendwithexperts.com ).

I can't help you with placement though.

Answering your other question, you should "waste" your time learning
the basics first. I do not think that a person can jump directly from C
to SOA or WS.

Regards,
Yakov Fain

Raghu Kaippully

Answering your other question, you should "waste" your time learning
the basics first. I do not think that a person can jump directly from C
to SOA or WS.

Be SOA or WS or anything, jumping into today's hot tech without learning
basics is not at all good, from a long term perspective. You won't survive.

FreeBooks_at_2020ok_com

jumping into today's hot tech without learning basics is not at all good, from a long
term perspective. You won't survive.

I don't see the need to learn Java basics, since you are already C
expert. I went through the same transition without learning the Java
basics first, and that was 6 years ago, and I survive well now in the
Java field.

John S.

dr3212333

The question wasn't to skip the basics. The question was, once I've
done the basics,
what's the best way to head... considering I wasn't a 'web front end'
developer:
"Developer for Java Web Services" vs "Business Component Developer"

Also, if I want to at least do the first, basic test without going to a
formal class, what's the best book to guide me towards certification?
Any recommendations of which classes are most important to be done in a
classroom setting.

I've done a couple of web based courses, but they don't give enough to
actually work on things... Also, I have a habit of trying to rush
through the books or web based courses... which is why I'm leading
towards classroom training... although it gets quite expensive.

Anyhow, some of the training centers which looked interesting are:
http://www.careercenters.com
http://learningtree.com

The former does have job placement services. Can anyone comment or give
more suggestions for around NYC? I've been trying to ask my former
employer and transition companies and they haven't been of much help.

Thanks!