/cgi-bin/ directory

John Smith

from the tutorial:
http://docs.rinet.ru/CP7/ch13.htm#ViewingHTMLSourcesofOutput

we can debug our CGI script by running it in telnet.
telnet sitename.com 80
GET /cgi-bin/directory/scriptname HTTP/1.0

my CGI script sits in the following directory of my webserver:

/ppakm/sppabew/mx-cgi/

so i tried:
GET /cgi-bin/ppakm/sppabew/mx-cgi/scriptname HTTP/1.0

but i got
?Invalid command

what is the correct way to run a CGI script named "scriptname" thru
telnet?

Paul Lalli

John said:
we can debug our CGI script by running it in telnet.
telnet sitename.com 80
GET /cgi-bin/directory/scriptname HTTP/1.0

I would never have thought to do that. Seems like a very round-about
solution to me.
my CGI script sits in the following directory of my webserver:

/ppakm/sppabew/mx-cgi/

so i tried:
GET /cgi-bin/ppakm/sppabew/mx-cgi/scriptname HTTP/1.0

Why is that /cgi-bin there? You said the file is located in /ppakm.
If you're running a GET request, you should be providing the same path
that you would type into your web browser's address bar (minus the
http://www.example.com/ part)
but i got
?Invalid command

what is the correct way to run a CGI script named "scriptname" thru
telnet?

This question has nothing to do with Perl, and so you may therefore
receive better help in a CGI-specific newsgroup like
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi

In general, log into the machine on which your CGI-enabled server is
running, and run your program on the command line:
cd /ppakm/sppabew/mx-cgi
../scriptname

And see what errors it gives. If there are any errors doing that, you
have a Perl problem, and you should post a short-but-complete script
that exhibits the error, to this group. If not, you do not have a perl
problem. You should check the web-server logs to see what they say,
and ask your question to a group that deals with CGI-specific
programming.

More help can be found in various links at
perldoc -q 500

Paul Lalli