Change Web Access Method in VS.NET 2005

Bob Boffin

I have a web project that I started to develop in VWD 2005. I now have a
copy of VS.NET 2005 Professional and I want to add my solution to source
control. The web project is on my own development PC using the local IIS
(I think).

When I try to do this VS tells me

Quote:

Microsoft Visual Studio cannot add FrontPage Web Sites to source control.

Use Visual Studio to save all Web Site files. Then from the web server,
use the Windows Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and the Internet
Services Manager to add the files to source control.

In VS.NET 2003 there was no such restriction and what is more I could
have simply changed the Web Access method for the project to File Share
and the problem would have been avoided.

The advice given is also rather confusing as I have no idea how to put
something under source control from the Internet Services Manager.

Can somebody please tell me how to:
a. change the web project's access mode to File Share
or
b. add the files to source control from Internet Services Manager

I have looked at the Start Options for the project but the Use Custom
Server radio button is grayed out so I can't use it so some advice on how
to clear this might provide a solution.

Bob Boffin

ElronVel

Hello Bob,

I haven't transitioned from VWD and VS2005 Professional but....

Try copying the files from your virtual directory (except _vti*, and
csproj or vbproj files)
to a NEW folder.

Then start VS2005 and Open Web site -> File System-> pick your NEW
folder

However, adding files to source control is preferably done inside
Visual Studio.
I don't have problem with this using Source Safe.

Let me know if this works,

Elrey Velicaria

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
Hello Bob,

Could you please quote what you reply to? It's really a pain to read
your posts. Quote the material, snip what's not relevant to the answer.
It's easy, doen't cost much time, and makes your posts actually useful.

Thanks in advance!
Laurent

Bob Boffin

I have a web project that I started to develop in VWD 2005. I now have
a copy of VS.NET 2005 Professional and I want to add my solution to
source control. The web project is on my own development PC using the
local IIS (I think).

When I try to do this VS tells me

Quote:

Microsoft Visual Studio cannot add FrontPage Web Sites to source
control.

Use Visual Studio to save all Web Site files. Then from the web
server, use the Windows Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and the
Internet Services Manager to add the files to source control.

<SNIP>

I have now resolved this problem but I had to create a new Web Site under
VS 2005 and add all the files from the original VWD project to it. I was
then able to add it to source control without a problem.

It looks as though there may be some incompatibilities between the
Solution/Project files in VS 2005 and VWD.