Changing contents of 2 frames: Back button trauma in I.E.

Robin Somes

Hi everyone,

Sincere apologies if this has been done to death before.

I have a frameset in 3 columns; 'leftmenu', 'main' and 'rightmenu'. The
content of 'leftmenu' remains the same throughout the site; when I open
a new page in 'main', I want its relevant sub-menu to appear in
'rightmenu'.

function Contents(newPage)
{
parent.rightmenu.document.location.href = newPage + "menu.html"
}

followed by:

onclick="Contents('software')">Software</a>

will achieve this, as will:

function Contents(newPage)
{
parent.main.document.location.href = newPage + ".html";
parent.rightmenu.document.location.href = newPage + "menu.html"
}

and:

(yes, I've read and understood article 4.24 of the FAQ...)

My problem starts on using the Back button, specifically in I.E. 5.5 and
6:- it (quite logically, I suppose) treats each change as a separate
step, so that one click returns the 'rightmenu' frame to its original
content, a second is needed for the content of 'main'. All beautifully
logical, but apt to confuse users. The Back button in Opera manages both
changes simultaneously.

Any suggestions?

MTIA,

Robin
--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk

Stephen Chalmers

Robin Somes said:
My problem starts on using the Back button, specifically in I.E. 5.5 and
6:- it (quite logically, I suppose) treats each change as a separate
step, so that one click returns the 'rightmenu' frame to its original
content, a second is needed for the content of 'main'. All beautifully
logical, but apt to confuse users. The Back button in Opera manages both
changes simultaneously.

Any suggestions?

MTIA,

Robin
--
Try placing some code into your unchanging frame, to check the names of the
documents loaded into the other two. The function could be triggered

Robin Somes

Stephen Chalmers said:
Try placing some code into your unchanging frame, to check the names
of the documents loaded into the other two. The function could be
triggered
periodically or by onload events.

Thanks; I see your point - I should have mentioned in my original post
that the left (unchanging) frame is the one containing the links and
script.

cheers,
robin