cheap hosting with simple CMS

1

123Jim

Hi all,
Please direct me to a more appropriate group for my question, or ....

I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.Their
hosting is free, their content management system is pretty easy .. and it
has to be , because I only want to set up a simple web site and train the
user to maintain it themselves, hence the need for a simple CMS.

Anyway, it looks like they make their money on the domain registration and
hosting side of the deal.
To register/host a domain: 1 Year $39.95, 2 Years $33.95/year, 5 Years
$29.95/year,10 Years $24.99/year ..

I have another domain out there, but my domain provider use frame forwarding
to my hosting provider , and although it is cheap I would not recommend it
to my user, besides they would be unable to maintain it themselves .. and
that might cause me a headache ..

I welcome your thoughts on the above idea, advice etc.

idle

[...]

Buy your domain name here.
http://www.netfirms.com/domain-names/
Comes with free privacy, easy dns control, etc.
Buy your hosting from here.
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
There you can check offers and features offered by lots of companies.
Make sure you use the sites search feature to check the names you want
to compare so you don't get tossed by a newbie/kiddie company.

Pretty easy stuff.

[...]

Actually, http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

;)

1

123Jim

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
"Never put all your eggs in one basket."

--

In fact that is a reason I am considering weebly.com .. They have been
around for enough time for me to trust they are a stable feature of the web

Regarding hosting the website with one company and hosting the domain with a
different company .. How do you avoid the awful and evil 'frame forwarding'
that I seem compelled to endure with 1395domains.com?

1

123Jim

123Jim said:
In fact that is a reason I am considering weebly.com .. They have been
around for enough time for me to trust they are a stable feature of the
web .. The fact they 'seem' expensive on the domain hosting side gives me
some confidence they will continue.

Regarding hosting the website with one company and hosting the domain with
a different company .. How do you avoid the awful and evil 'frame
forwarding' that I seem compelled to endure with 1395domains.com?

Checking my settings for my domain I chose frame forwarding but what I
really wanted was the the URL to contain the domain-name/webpage.html .. but
that is not what I get with frame forwarding ..
I see I have other options: A, name, URL frame, URL forward and 'text' ..
which one of these would result in my URLs containing the
domain/webpage.html ?
Maybe I have missed a trick all these years ..

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ok then. It's your basket. said:
Regarding hosting the website with one company and hosting the domain
with a different company .. How do you avoid the awful and evil
'frame forwarding' that I seem compelled to endure with
1395domains.com?

With a proper domain registrar and a proper web hosting service, you
simply enter the 'nameservers' that the host tells you to use. So your
first question to your prospective new host should be "what are the
nameservers I would use at my domain registrar?"

Do a WHOIS on any popular web site, and see the nameserver names.

1

123Jim

idle said:
Buy your domain name here.
http://www.netfirms.com/domain-names/
Comes with free privacy, easy dns control, etc.
Buy your hosting from here.
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
There you can check offers and features offered by lots of companies.
Make sure you use the sites search feature to check the names you want
to compare so you don't get tossed by a newbie/kiddie company.

Pretty easy stuff.

--

Thanks . I like the price at netfirms .. how easy is it to transfer domains?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

123Jim said:
Checking my settings for my domain I chose frame forwarding but what I
really wanted was the the URL to contain the domain-name/webpage.html
.. but that is not what I get with frame forwarding .. I see I have
other options: A, name, URL frame, URL forward and 'text' .. which
one of these would result in my URLs containing the
domain/webpage.html ?

Umm, apparently your 'registrar' is not a real registrar? As I said in
other recent post, look for where you enter "nameserver" info.
Maybe I have missed a trick all these years ..

Seems so.

1

123Jim

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Umm, apparently your 'registrar' is not a real registrar? As I said in
other recent post, look for where you enter "nameserver" info.

It's a jungle out there :()
I see a setting for DNS server settings: [Select DNS Source: 'Our DNS'
(recommended) or 'Custom DNS'] .. Trouble is I barely look at these
settings for 10 minutes every 2 years. .. I don't want to send my high
traffic website into the depths of the internet black hole by messing with
this setting .. unless it is simple.. (high traffic .. lol )

123Jim said:
Maybe I have missed a trick all these years ..

Ahh, I've now had a look at weebly.com. That place seems to be one of
those "pseudo-hosts" as I like to call them. If I were you, and if you
want to actually publish a real web site, I'd run away.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

123Jim said:
Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Umm, apparently your 'registrar' is not a real registrar? As I said in
other recent post, look for where you enter "nameserver" info.

I see a setting for DNS server settings: [Select DNS Source: 'Our DNS'
(recommended) or 'Custom DNS'] .. Trouble is I barely look at these
settings for 10 minutes every 2 years. .. I don't want to send my
high traffic website into the depths of the internet black hole by
messing with this setting .. unless it is simple.. (high traffic ..
lol )

No. NameServers.

Check this out:
<http://whois.domaintools.com/weebly.com>

"Weebly.com is for sale
The owner of the domain you are researching has it listed for sale."

Run away faster!

But, scroll down the page near the bottom, and see "Name Servers". You
would need to know yours, supplied by your host.

123Jim said:
[...]

Thanks .. back to the drawing board I guess .. I should have known it was
looking to convenient. Trouble is hosting is such a cut throat business ..
Which hosting companies are 1 -cheap and 2- not regularly for sale ..
My flaky domain provider has been sold at least twice in 9 years .. with a
different domain name each time .. it's a problem when I only look for them
every two years.
cheers

Jeff Thies

In fact that is a reason I am considering weebly.com .. They have been
around for enough time for me to trust they are a stable feature of the web
.. The fact they 'seem' expensive on the domain hosting side gives me some
confidence they will continue.

Regarding hosting the website with one company and hosting the domain with a
different company .. How do you avoid the awful and evil 'frame forwarding'
that I seem compelled to endure with 1395domains.com?

GoDaddy isn't much. If your domain isn't worth $15 you should reconsider.

There are plenty of nightmare stories about having someone other than
yourself control the DNS. Wherever you host make sure you can change the
DNS at any time and for any reason. This is not necessarily the case
where a host handles the DNS.

Just had a client whose site went down when the DNS server went schitzy.