Collapsable menus

tim

I am creating a menu tree using a unordered lists using a script
called 'simplemenu' that i have come accross and just have a couple of
problems with it.

I was originally using a javascript based script named 'foldoutmenu'.
I was informed that it wasn't the best script and i have changed to
use a more simple css based script.

1> I have three main problems, firstly, I would like each menu to
collapse when the next one is opened alike my original 'foldoutmenu'.

2> I would also like to find a way of altering the spacing/ padding to
look like the first attempt. can i control this using css?

3>I would also like to control the width of the text in the menus. I
would like it to be set to 400px. Is this something that i can change
in the css?

The 'simplemenu' that i am using now can be seen at; http://
www.geocities.com/timdenton3000/

The first 'foldoutmenu' that i have now ditched can be seen at: http://
www.geocities.com/timdenton3000/old/index.htm

Any help/advice on either of these problems would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Tim

pcx99

tim said:
[...]

I think what you're asking for is too much like "writing the application
for you" to get much help from the newsgroup. But if you would like to
see just what css can do, you could do much, much, much worse than
checking out A List Apart's menu tutorials. (
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=menu&x=0&y=0&sp-a=sp1002d27b&sp-f=ISO-8859-1&sp-p=All&sp-k=All
) They pretty much go from full blown CSS menus that degrade gracefully
all the way back to the first browsers ever made.

But to answer 2 & 3, yes CSS can let you alter spacing/padding and
width. style="width: 400px; padding: 5px;" will set the width, of the
element to 400px and create an inner padding layer 5pixels deep.

tim

Hi pcx99

Thanks for the reply, granted, i am perhaps asking a bit much.

I have previously had a good look through alistapart, and there are
some really nice examples there, only im not sure that any of them fit
in with what im trying to do. And unfortunately i dont have the
knowledge to manipulate the codes to my requirments.

Thanks for the help with the css spacing, i'll continue to work out
the collapsability of the menus.

Many thanks

Tim