com+ & dotnet

gdp

hi...i have been developing using "classic" asp and sql server for the last
few years. i have managed to remain completely ignorant of things like COM
for all that time. last night i read a bit about COM/COM+ and was
interested to know that i have in fact been using COM everytime get a
recordset etc. i wish to know more. i also dimly aware of .net, and have
been thinking of learning a bit about that. my question is does the .net
stuff use COM or does it "replace" it in some way (that statement may reveal
just how little i currently know about this all). the COM book is
interesting but i don't want to learn things which are becoming defunct.
thanks for any help given

regards

gdp

Bob Barrows [MVP]

gdp said:
hi...i have been developing using "classic" asp and sql server for
the last few years. i have managed to remain completely ignorant of
things like COM for all that time. last night i read a bit about
COM/COM+ and was interested to know that i have in fact been using
COM everytime get a recordset etc. i wish to know more. i also
dimly aware of .net, and have been thinking of learning a bit about
that. my question is does the .net stuff use COM or does it
"replace" it in some way (that statement may reveal just how little i
currently know about this all). the COM book is interesting but i
don't want to learn things which are becoming defunct. thanks for any
help given

regards

gdp

This isn't a dotnet newsgroup. You'll probably have better success posting
to one of them, perhaps microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.

From the sounds of your question, you'll probably be much better off taking
a class or buying a book. Go to Amazon and search for a book (I have no
recommendations)

Bob Barrows