    such file and append its contents to this same new file as well, thereby
    making, for example, a single long video instead of two smaller ones?

    Thanks.

    John Salerno, Jun 16, 2008

  2. This works with basic mpeg videos, but pretty much nothing else.
    You're going to need some video editing software.

    Jason Scheirer, Jun 16, 2008

  3. John Salerno

    Dan Upton Guest

    I actually don't know what would happen if you concatenated even MP3s
    with the ID3 tags that are stored at the end... I know with some DivX
    files at least you could approximate this by running a separate
    program on them that would recreate whatever index it needed. (At
    least, you could recreate the index for files that cut off early, I
    guess it could figure out what to do if it found a second index
    halfway through the file.)

    Dan Upton, Jun 16, 2008
  4. John Salerno

    Python.Arno Guest

    you can't just edit mpeg (including mp3)...
    mpeg is a stream. it sets a "key" frame for the first frame
    followed by motion vectors from the changes from that frame
    until the next keyframe.
    If you cut in the middle of the vectors the keyframe is lost
    and the vector frames don;t make any sense anymore.

    avi is not a video codec, it's a container like quicktime.
    so it depends...

    I come from a Mac background and use quicktime a lot.
    there are some basic editing features that quicktime can do.
    And Apple has a nice quicktime python module in OSX.
    I bet there's something for windows too...

    best thing to do is convert the video o a framesequence and
    the audio to an uncompressed format like wav or aiff
    then combine in quicktime or <something in windows>

    cheers,
    Arno

    Python.Arno, Jun 16, 2008
  5. John Salerno

    Paul Boddie Guest

    Probably not, as people have pointed out, but I imagine you could use
    GStreamer and a few processing pipelines, as I pointed out in a
    comment on the following article (for another task):

    http://jessenoller.com/2008/05/06/lazyweb-question-python-video-manipulation-libraries/

    This is probably as close as you can get to treating the files as if
    they were simple things which can be concatenated.

    Paul

    Paul Boddie, Jun 19, 2008