comparision Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI

derek

Hi,

Would it be fair to compare the following technologies to each other:

Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI?

Thanks,
Derek

Roedy Green

Would it be fair to compare the following technologies to each other:

Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI?

You can compare them. They each have their niche so they are not
direct competitors..

CORBA's forte is interlanguage communication -- tying C++ and Java
together for example.

RMI's forte is flexibility. It is almost like you have a single JVM
spanning two machines. You can run methods, hand object back and
forth. You don't have to map out every conceivable message.
It is also multiplatform allowing you to tie together vastly different
hardware all running the same code.

Jini's forte is light weight. it is suitable for dime-sized computers.

..NET's forte is integration with Microsoft products.

derek

Thanks Roedy :). I had one more question- are there any other similar
technologies that I could include in my list?

Thanks, Derek

j-integra_support

Hi Derek,

The J-Integra team at Intrinsyc Software specializes in the field of
high performance interoperability between Java, Corba, .NET, and COM
applications. As a result, we have a vast collection of information
that compares and contrasts Corba, .NET Remoting, DCOM, Web Services,
and Java RMI. Even if you are not looking for middleware
interoperability solutions at this time, check out our website to learn
more about these technologies. Our whitepapers section, as well as our
individual product sections, will be of great benefit in this area.

http://j-integra.intrinsyc.com/whitepaper/

Shane Sauer
J-Integra Interoperability Solutions
http://j-integra.intrinsyc.com/
high performance interop middleware for java, corba, com & .net

Patrick May

Roedy Green said:
CORBA's forte is interlanguage communication -- tying C++ and Java
together for example. [ . . . ]
Jini's forte is light weight. it is suitable for dime-sized computers.

Actually, Jini's forte is scalability and resiliency. It
addresses Deutsche's "Seven Fallacies of Networking" directly,
supporting the creation of highly flexible service oriented
architectures.

The far too common idea that Jini is designed to allow your
refrigerator to talk to your toaster is completely inaccurate. It is
a powerful means for delivering distributed systems.

Regards,

Patrick