Comparison with Python and TCL

Pascal

Hello.

There is probably no unique answer, but I ask the question:
- Can Ruby, Python and TCL be compared?
- Is Ruby better than Python and TCL?
- For which purposes is Ruby better? For which purposes is it worse?
Why and how?

Thanks,
Pascal.

Brad Tilley

Pascal said:
Hello.

There is probably no unique answer, but I ask the question:
- Can Ruby, Python and TCL be compared?
- Is Ruby better than Python and TCL?

I cannot speak about TCL.

I've used Python for several years. I like it. I started using Ruby
about a month ago. I like it too. I find that Ruby is more flexible than
Python, otherwise, I think they are very similar. Ruby's flexibility
causes it to be a bit more complex than Python, but IMO, that's OK. When
I want something very straight-forward and linear, I use Python. When I
want more flexibility, I use Ruby.

I have never had performance issues in either language. They both are
accused of being slow by fans of other languages, but I have never
personally experienced this.

I like that Python and Ruby run on many different platforms and that
both are free.

Use and enjoy them both :)

Brad

David N. Welton

Pascal said:
Hello.

There is probably no unique answer, but I ask the question:
- Can Ruby, Python and TCL be compared?
- Is Ruby better than Python and TCL?
- For which purposes is Ruby better? For which purposes is it worse?

I wrote some about Ruby and Tcl (not "TCL", at least not these days):

http://journal.dedasys.com/articles/2006/03/06/ruby-vs-tcl

Sooner or later I'll get around to adding a few more things in a second
article...

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/