Compiling fails on Mac OS X 10.5

mc

Hi!
I'm trying to compile on my Macbook with OS X 10.5. I have all updates
and Xcode 3.0 installed.

I checked python out with: svn checkout http://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/py3k
After that I did "./configure" in the created "py3k" dir. Everything
went fine. But make fails with the following error message:
ranlib libpython3.0.a
gcc -u _PyMac_Error -o python.exe \
Modules/python.o \
libpython3.0.a -ldl
make: *** [sharedmods] Error 1

I tried checking out many times. I also tried de 3.0a2 release,gives
me the same error. I've heard others have compiled it successfully on
Leopard so I wonder what causes the problems on my system.

Mark Dickinson

Hi!
I'm trying to compile on my Macbook with OS X 10.5. I have all updates
and Xcode 3.0 installed.

I checked python out with: svn checkouthttp://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/py3k
After that I did "./configure" in the  created "py3k" dir. Everything
went fine. But make fails with the following error message:
ranlib libpython3.0.a
gcc  -u _PyMac_Error -o python.exe \
                        Modules/python.o \
                        libpython3.0.a -ldl
make: *** [sharedmods] Error 1

I tried checking out many times. I also tried de 3.0a2 release,gives
me the same error. I've heard others have compiled it successfully on
Leopard so I wonder what causes the problems on my system.

Could you post the rest of the ./configure and compilation output?
make might be rereporting an error that occurred further up.

I don't see anything related on the Python bug tracker. It might be

worth posting a bug report at bugs.python.org

Mark

Alright!
../configure output is here: http://rafb.net/p/NqSmqc25.html
and make output here: http://rafb.net/p/kzeb2e29.html

Mark Dickinson

Alright!
./configure output is here:http://rafb.net/p/NqSmqc25.html
and make output here:http://rafb.net/p/kzeb2e29.html

Hmm. Doesn't seem to be anything unusual here. I was expecting to see
some more informative error message somewhere. Does this output
definitely include everything sent to stderr and to stdout, or did it
come from just redirecting stdout?

I don't understand where all the

rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory

lines in the configure output are coming from. Can this possibly be
related?

Anyone else here have any ideas how to proceed?

Mark