complete newbie question

Darren

Hi,

Having just downloaded & installed VD2005 Express Edition, read through some
tutorial & worked though a sample or two I copied the tutorial files into a
directory under IIS (running XP Pro SP2).

When I ran/debugged the pages under VS2005 the pages displayed with no
issues. When the files were copied to their own directory under
"InetPub/wwwroot" the following error message was displayed:

------------------------------------
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and
then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource
'http://localhost/MyFirstSite/page1.aspx'. Line 1,...

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
-^-------------------------------------------------

Line 1 in the page in question is as follows:
<%@ Page Language="VB" %>

This seems to happen even in the "default.aspx" page which has code behind
and the following first line:
----------------------------
<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb"
Inherits="_Default" %>
----------------------------
Would it be safe to assume that the problem lies not with the code but with
IIS?
If so can someone still help and if not at least point me in the direction
of the correct newsgroup to post this query to?

Many thanks for any and all help and advice. If you require more info,
please do not hesitate (as I know you wont) to ask. :)
Apologies for my ignorance, if indeed that it what is at fault here, but
please remember we all have to start somewhere ;-)

Darren

Darren

Looking at the post I'm not sure if the last 2 characters were clear?
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and
then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource
'http://localhost/MyFirstSite/page1.aspx'. Line 1,...

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
-^-------------------------------------------------------------

Darren

I will try again. The last two lines in the error message read:
"
<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
-^"
I'm thinking the last 2 characters "-^" may be important as they are not
present in the original code.

Hans Kesting

Hi,
Having just downloaded & installed VD2005 Express Edition, read
through some tutorial & worked though a sample or two I copied the
tutorial files into a directory under IIS (running XP Pro SP2).

When I ran/debugged the pages under VS2005 the pages displayed with no
issues. When the files were copied to their own directory under
"InetPub/wwwroot" the following error message was displayed:

------------------------------------
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the
error and
then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Does IIS know about "asp.net"? If you do a "view source" in the browser,
do you see .Net code (as in the <% ... %> line)? Then IIS does not run
the page through ASP.Net, but serves it as-is. Apparently your browser
then guesses that the response might contain XML and runs into problems.

The solution: run "aspnet_regiis -i" (without the "")
You can find that command usually in
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\<version>\
(where you need to supply the version that you want to use,
probably v2.0.50727)

Hans Kesting