Composite Control and accessing complex properties of child controls - C# VS2005

Paul Yanzick

Hello,

I am trying to build a composite control that contains a few objects, in
particular a calendar and a textbox.

I have the bulk of the control built, however I would like to make some of
the properties present at design time, however I am having some difficulty
doing so. In particular, I would like to make the style settings for the
calendar available to the designer, for example the DayStyle. I know it
uses a TableItemStyle, however I cannot seem to write a property that will
make it available in the designer.

Any suggestions on how I would do this, or perhaps some sample code?

Thanks
Paul

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Paul,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
From your description, you're developing an ASP.NET 2.0 Custom WEbServer
control which using Composite control style and will contain some sub
controls like Calendar... Now you're wondering how to add some public
style properties in your custom control (mapping to some of the contained
sub control's properties ) and can utilize the design-time services , yes?

Based on my experience, the simplest and quickest means is just defining
some public properties(of the same type of those in the sub controls....)
in your custom control. To utilize VS ide's design-time feautre, we need to
apply some certain attributes. I've just created a simple composite control
which contains a Calendar control and expose a "CalendarDayStyle" property
to let end user configure inner Calendar control's daystyle through our
custom control's property. The "CalendarDayStyle" can be configured
through design-time property grid or in aspx template.... We can retrieve
the value at runtime and merge with the inner calendar's style....:

====================================
namespace ControlLib
{
[DefaultProperty("Text")]
[ToolboxData("<{0}:MultiCS runat=server></{0}:MultiCS>")]
[Designer(typeof(MultiCSDesigner),typeof(IDesigner))]
public class MultiCS : WebControl, INamingContainer
{
private Calendar _calendar = null;

private TableItemStyle _calendarDayStyle = null;

[DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Content),
PersistenceMode(PersistenceMode.InnerProperty),
DefaultValue((string)null), NotifyParentProperty(true)]
public TableItemStyle CalendarDayStyle
{
get {

if (this._calendarDayStyle == null)
{
this._calendarDayStyle = new TableItemStyle();
}
return this._calendarDayStyle;

[Bindable(true)]
[Category("Appearance")]
[DefaultValue("")]
[Localizable(true)]
public string Text
{
get
{
String s = (String)ViewState["Text"];
return ((s == null) ? String.Empty : s);
}

set
{
ViewState["Text"] = value;

Controls.Clear();

_calendar = new Calendar();
_calendar.ID = "cdrMain";
_calendar.SelectedDate = DateTime.Now;
_calendar.VisibleDate = DateTime.Now;

Controls.Add(_calendar);

base.OnPreRender(e);

_calendar.DayStyle.MergeWith(_calendarDayStyle);

public class MultiCSDesigner : ControlDesigner
{
public override string GetDesignTimeHtml()
{
StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
sb.Append("<font size='30' red='red'>");
sb.Append("MultiCS DesignTime......");
sb.Append("</font>");

return sb.ToString();

===================================

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Paul Yanzick" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Composite Control and accessing complex properties of child
controls - C# VS2005
| Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:54:37 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
|
| Hello,
|
| I am trying to build a composite control that contains a few objects, in
| particular a calendar and a textbox.
|
| I have the bulk of the control built, however I would like to make some
of
| the properties present at design time, however I am having some
difficulty
| doing so. In particular, I would like to make the style settings for the
| calendar available to the designer, for example the DayStyle. I know it
| uses a TableItemStyle, however I cannot seem to write a property that
will
| make it available in the designer.
|
| Any suggestions on how I would do this, or perhaps some sample code?
|
| Thanks
| Paul

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Paul,

Does my suggestion in last reply helps a little? If there're anything else
we can help, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

> [...]

| }
|

| protected override void CreateChildControls()
| {
| Controls.Clear();
|
| _calendar = new Calendar();
| _calendar.ID = "cdrMain";
| _calendar.SelectedDate = DateTime.Now;
| _calendar.VisibleDate = DateTime.Now;
|
| Controls.Add(_calendar);
| }
|

| protected override void OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
| {
| base.OnPreRender(e);
|
| _calendar.DayStyle.MergeWith(_calendarDayStyle);
| }
| }
|

| public class MultiCSDesigner : ControlDesigner
| {
| public override string GetDesignTimeHtml()
| {
| StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
| sb.Append("<font size='30' red='red'>");

| |
| | I am trying to build a composite control that contains a few objects,
in
| | particular a calendar and a textbox.
| |
| | I have the bulk of the control built, however I would like to make some
| of
| | the properties present at design time, however I am having some
| difficulty
| | doing so. In particular, I would like to make the style settings for
the
| | calendar available to the designer, for example the DayStyle. I know
it
| | uses a TableItemStyle, however I cannot seem to write a property that
| will
| | make it available in the designer.
| |
| | Any suggestions on how I would do this, or perhaps some sample code?
| |
| | Thanks
| | Paul
| |
| |
| |

Paul Yanzick

Hello,

Sorry I haven't replied. Was preoccupied with some other projects.

I believe that this will help, thank you! I think I tried something along
the same lines, but what you have here is slightly different so I will give
that a shot.

Thanks!
Paul
Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

| }
|

| protected override void CreateChildControls()
| {
| Controls.Clear();
|
| _calendar = new Calendar();
| _calendar.ID = "cdrMain";
| _calendar.SelectedDate = DateTime.Now;
| _calendar.VisibleDate = DateTime.Now;
|
| Controls.Add(_calendar);
| }
|

| protected override void OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
| {
| base.OnPreRender(e);
|
| _calendar.DayStyle.MergeWith(_calendarDayStyle);
| }
| }
|

| public class MultiCSDesigner : ControlDesigner
| {
| public override string GetDesignTimeHtml()
| {
| StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
| sb.Append("<font size='30' red='red'>");

| |
| | I am trying to build a composite control that contains a few objects,
in
| | particular a calendar and a textbox.
| |
| | I have the bulk of the control built, however I would like to make
some
| of
| | the properties present at design time, however I am having some
| difficulty
| | doing so. In particular, I would like to make the style settings for
the
| | calendar available to the designer, for example the DayStyle. I know
it
| | uses a TableItemStyle, however I cannot seem to write a property that
| will
| | make it available in the designer.
| |
| | Any suggestions on how I would do this, or perhaps some sample code?
| |
| | Thanks
| | Paul
| |
| |
| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Glad to hear from you Paul,

If you get any progress, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Paul Yanzick" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Composite Control and accessing complex properties of child
controls - C# VS2005
| Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:48:44 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
|
| Hello,
|
| Sorry I haven't replied. Was preoccupied with some other projects.
|
| I believe that this will help, thank you! I think I tried something
along
| the same lines, but what you have here is slightly different so I will
give
| that a shot.
|
| Thanks!
| Paul
| | > Hi Paul,
| >
| > Does my suggestion in last reply helps a little? If there're anything
else
| > we can help, please feel free to post here.
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 06:15:04 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: Composite Control and accessing complex properties of
child
| > controls - C# VS2005
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
| > | From your description, you're developing an ASP.NET 2.0 Custom
WEbServer
| > | control which using Composite control style and will contain some sub
| > | controls like Calendar... Now you're wondering how to add some public
| > | style properties in your custom control (mapping to some of the
| > contained
| > | sub control's properties ) and can utilize the design-time services ,
| > yes?
| > |
| > | Based on my experience, the simplest and quickest means is just
defining
| > | some public properties(of the same type of those in the sub
| > controls....)
| > | in your custom control. To utilize VS ide's design-time feautre, we
need
| > | apply some certain attributes. I've just created a simple composite
| > control
| > | which contains a Calendar control and expose a "CalendarDayStyle"
| > property
| > | to let end user configure inner Calendar control's daystyle through
our
| > | custom control's property. The "CalendarDayStyle" can be configured
| > | through design-time property grid or in aspx template.... We can
| > retrieve
| > | the value at runtime and merge with the inner calendar's style....:
| > |
| > | ====================================
| > | namespace ControlLib
| > | {
| > | [DefaultProperty("Text")]
| > | [ToolboxData("<{0}:MultiCS runat=server></{0}:MultiCS>")]
| > | [Designer(typeof(MultiCSDesigner),typeof(IDesigner))]
| > | public class MultiCS : WebControl, INamingContainer
| > | {
| > | private Calendar _calendar = null;
| > |
| > | private TableItemStyle _calendarDayStyle = null;
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

[DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Content),
| > | PersistenceMode(PersistenceMode.InnerProperty),
| > | DefaultValue((string)null), NotifyParentProperty(true)]
| > | public TableItemStyle CalendarDayStyle
| > | {
| > | get {
| > |
| > | if (this._calendarDayStyle == null)
| > | {
| > | this._calendarDayStyle = new TableItemStyle();
| > | }
| > | return this._calendarDayStyle;
| > | }
| > | }
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | [Bindable(true)]
| > | [Category("Appearance")]
| > | [DefaultValue("")]
| > | [Localizable(true)]
| > | public string Text
| > | {
| > | get
| > | {
| > | String s = (String)ViewState["Text"];
| > | return ((s == null) ? String.Empty : s);
| > | }
| > |
| > | set
| > | {
| > | ViewState["Text"] = value;
| > | }
| > | }
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | protected override void CreateChildControls()
| > | {
| > | Controls.Clear();
| > |
| > | _calendar = new Calendar();
| > | _calendar.ID = "cdrMain";
| > | _calendar.SelectedDate = DateTime.Now;
| > | _calendar.VisibleDate = DateTime.Now;
| > |
| > | Controls.Add(_calendar);
| > | }
| > |
| > |
| > | protected override void OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
| > | {
| > | base.OnPreRender(e);
| > |
| > | _calendar.DayStyle.MergeWith(_calendarDayStyle);
| > | }
| > | }
| > |
| > |
| > | public class MultiCSDesigner : ControlDesigner
| > | {
| > | public override string GetDesignTimeHtml()
| > | {
| > | StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
| > | sb.Append("<font size='30' red='red'>");
| > | sb.Append("MultiCS DesignTime......");
| > | sb.Append("</font>");
| > |
| > | return sb.ToString();
| > | }
| > |
| > |
| > | }
| > | }
| > | ===================================
| > |
| > | Hope helps. Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------
| > | controls - C# VS2005
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
| > | |
| > | |
| > in
| > | |