    example the datagrid paging don't work. And databinding work correct. Why?
    How I can process the postback from nested controls.

    thank

    apple, Feb 7, 2004

  2. you must override the onbubbleEvent method in your helixtab template and
    send it up to the container.

    Event bubbling is what you want. Look in the docs for more. This is an old
    post where a bit was discussed. Also do not forget to implement
    INamingContainer in helixTab.

    Follow up on this post :

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...ed&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

    Message 13 onwards we got into event bubbling. Let me know if your stuck.

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Feb 7, 2004

  3. apple

    apple Guest

    Thank Alessandro for your reply, I think already about bubbling, and I have
    a lot of "theoretical" questions for you or somebody else.
    If I understand correctly, in my controls hierarchy all controls inside
    separate tabs fire events, these events yet not propagate up through the
    control hierarchy and the page that finally holds my tab control don't know
    about these internal events. So if I place nested datagrid handler's inside
    page class, any level of nested control hierarchy may probably block event
    bubbling, because by default, an event that initiates bubbling is
    automatically bubbled up through the control hierarchy, as "we can see from
    the definition of the RaiseBubbleEvent method and the default implementation
    of OnBubbleEvent" in Control class. I read this in a book Developing
    Microsoft ASP.NET Server Controls and Components. Very likely this
    "blocking" level is a collection of tabs which inherits CollectionBase an
    don't have default bubbling features. Can you comment these thoughts?

    apple, Feb 7, 2004
  4. Apple, actually the events fire in your Template helixTab, however the idea
    is to trap this event and send it up. I Understand your concern about the
    dataGrid control, which is a Templated Control in itself, but you could
    actually trap these events and send them up, even if in my personal opinion
    I find this not to be very smart. Reason being that you could have any
    controls in your template not just a datagrid and it makes it very hard to
    keep trapping and exposing these events in your container, and in the end
    you will end up with a cluttered control that exposes events of controls
    that are not directly part of the control but are nested controls. This is
    ok for normal click events etc but for controls like the the datagrid you
    got --onitemcreated --onitemdatabound and many others, for whom you would
    have to trap the event individually and then expose it to the consumers of
    your custom control. For templated controls the idea is to provide one
    handler for specific events, and because most controls have a click event, i
    think you should bubble this up and expose one handler for all click events
    and then let the end user distinguish every click by checking the
    ArgumentName attribute for the buttons they defined etc.

    As for controls like the dataGrid an easier way to workaround would be to
    add your datagrid to a UserControl and then add the UserControl as a
    childControl in your Template. This is because a usercontrol has its own
    code-behind class where you can code, and use your dataGrids event handlers
    like you would on any page. If you went this route then you wont need to
    bother with the hassles of bubbling events for Templated Controls like the
    DataGrid --DataList --Repeater etc which in turn bubble events for their
    ChildControls :)

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Feb 8, 2004
  5. Apple, in my last post i said that you could bubble up the events for the
    datagrid control but now that I think of it, bubbling up the dataGrid
    controls events is not the real problem but trying to distinguish which
    dataGrid control fired the event as there is no way you can pass an
    identifier like we could have done through the CommandArgument or
    CommandName properties exposed by contros that postback like the button
    Control etc.

    So what you need to do is have the consumers of your custom control wrap
    their datagrid control and the like within a usercontrol and add the
    usercontrol and not the dataGrid directly, like I had mentioned in my

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Feb 8, 2004
  6. apple

    apple Guest

    Alessandro, thanks
    only one way we have as a result for my simple tab control - bubbling?
    it is of course not convenient, because I don't know what controls may
    contain tab container...
    :(

    apple, Feb 9, 2004
  7. Bubbling is great and you dont need to know what control is contained ahead
    of time, but what events you want to trap and bubble up. Once bubbled, you
    want to expose a handler for that specific event. What you dont know is
    which control fired the event, because you can have 10 buttons in your
    template and every one of them can fire a click event. Question : So, how do
    we know who fired this event if we have one generic click event handler
    exposed by our control ?
    Answer : For every button we use the CommandName property and set an
    identifier here : like button1.CommandName = "Button1"

    Now in the click event handler we expose to end users of our control, or
    even in the container of our template, which will fire everytime a click
    event occurs in our template, is to check in this manner :

    Sub MyCustomControl_Click(sender As Object, e As MyControl.CommandEventArgs)
    if e.CommandName = "Button1" then
    'Take action because button1 was clicked.
    End sub
    End Sub 'MyCustomControl_Click

    This is possible because the CommandEventArgs object contains data about the
    Command event that can be accessed in the event handler. The dataGrid
    control does not expose the CommandEventArgs object making it impossible to
    pass any data and hence we got no identifier, when for example, an
    onItemDataBound event is fired. If you had one dataGrid control no problem.
    If you had multiple datagrids in your template then you wont know how to
    differentiate btw dataGrids. Also note that this is only my own personal
    reasoning and I am speaking theorically.

    It makes sense to me to tell consumers of your control that if they wanted
    to nest datagrids, to do this wrapping them within usercontrols whereas to
    nesting the grid directly and not try and bubble up events for templated
    controls like the dataGrid. This will also give them greater control on what
    is going on without limiting them.

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Feb 9, 2004
  8. oops, typo error : its "End If" and not "End sub" ;P

    Sub MyCustomControl_Click(sender As Object, e As MyControl.CommandEventArgs)
    if e.CommandName = "Button1" then
    'Take action because button1 was clicked.
    End If
    End Sub 'MyCustomControl_Click

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Feb 9, 2004
  9. apple

    apple Guest

    Alessandro, thanks for your considerations
    I don't fully grasped everything you write in all your replies. I need more
    time to think it over and just to do more homework. I'm not ready at present
    for a subsequent talk.
    Here is the hyperlink to the similar tab control
    http://www.devasp.net/net/Net/search/res/r11927.html
    My variant also have logic like this (with collection), the difference in
    rendering only. I save all your comprehensive post's for further
    experimental investigation :)) . I will not take up any more of your time,
    thank you muchly.

    apple, Feb 9, 2004
  10. apple

    apple Guest