Confusion when opening VS 2005 project in VS 2008

Cirene

I installed the RTM version of Visual Studio 2008 today.

Initially when I would open any of my 2005 projects (.NET 2.0) it would
simply open them. Now the Visual Studio Conversion Wizard is showing up
everytime. Why is this and how can I bypass this?

Thanks!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You have to finish the conversion process and then save off the resulting
solution file. After that, open using the new solution file.

Michael Nemtsev

Seems that you have some errors during conversion, which needs your attention.
That's why this window exists when you open project next time

Cirene

What I am saying is this...

- Dev enviroment was VS 2005, .NET 2.0.
- I Installed VS 2008.
- I opened various projects created in VS 2005 in 2008 and it DID NOT run me
thru any conversion wizard.
- Later on I go back into VS 2008 and whenever I open up ANY project (which
was created in VS 2005) it opens up the conversion wizard EVERY TIME.

Any ideas why?

Thanks!

Juan T. Llibre

I'm not too familiar, yet, with VS 2008, but I believe it
has the capacity to target both 2005 *and* 2008 projects.

Look for an option you can set which allows you to target 2005 projects.

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

If you want to "preserve" your VS 2005 solution files, make a copy of each in
the same folder with "2008" in the filename. These should be opened in VS
2008, allow the conversion process to complete, fix any errors, then save the
new 2008 .sln file.
Now you can open the 2008 .sln files with VS 2008, or the original .sln
files with VS 2005. Project files generally go either way with no problems.

--Peter
"Inside every large program, there is a small program trying to get out."
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
http://www.blogmetafinder.com

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

It is possible, the first time, that it targeted to 2.0, which would leave
the old format. Now, you need to save to the new format to avoid conversion
every time. Save solution as on the file menu and you can save over the top.
I would expect that works fine.