Connecting a GridView to an Oracle table

rcc.gamer

Hello All,

I am trying to connect a GridView to an Oracle table using the standard
SqlDataSource. The process is fairly simple and there are detailed
instructions from Microsoft ...
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178304(vs.80).aspx

The problem is not accessing or displaying data from an Oracle table
.... that all works great!

The problem is the number of tables Oracle returns when connecting
using the SqlDataSource. By default, the Oracle 10g server has over
1500 system/sample tables ... yes, I said 1500 as in one thousand five
hundred default tables with the standard installation of Oracle 10g.

If you look at the above link ... step 12 reads as follows:

"12. Make sure that the Yes, save this connection check box is
selected, change the name of the connection string if you want, and
then click Next to have the connection string information saved in the
application's Web.config file.

The Configure the Select Statement pane appears."

So, that part in step 12, where it says "The Configure the Select
Statement pane appears" does show up but only after the Web Developer
IDE has locked the computer for 5 minutes!!! while it reads over 1500
tables from the Oracle server.

I looked into forcing Oracle to filter the tables shown by a specified
Oracle Schema ... but no luck. It seems the OracleClient provided from
Microsoft forcibly retrieves ALL Oracle tables/view/stored procedures
when used in the SqlDataSource ... regardless of the assigned user
Default Schema.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I work around this problem? Is there
better data provider than the Microsoft OracleClient? What about
subclassing the SqlDataSource and manually filtering the tables that
are shown?

Thank you in advance for any help given :)

Fred Exley

[...]

I downloaded the Oracle provider for .Net from Oracle, and played around
with it against a 10g database on my lan awhile back. It seemed to work
fine.

Rad [Visual C# MVP]

You'd better try the provider by Oracle