Connecting to DB and other resources outside the domain

J-T

We are using **NTLM** as the authentication type.If I use this in my ASP.NET
application :

<identity impersonate="true" username="MyUser" password="123"/>
<authentication mode="Windows" />

and MyUser is the local account of the box which hosts my web application
,then can I connect to a remote sql server instance which has exactly the
same user name and password defined as ***Sql server authentication* using
the connection string below?

<add key="Main.ConnectionString"
value="Server=db-d;Database=vcad;Min Pool Size=5;Trusted_Connection=True"/>

OR

<add key="Main.ConnectionString" value="Data Source=db-d;Min
Pool Size=5;Initial Catalog=vcad;Integrated Security=SSPI;"/>

Please be advised that MyUser **is not** a domain account.The reason I don;t
want it to be a domain account is that I'd like to gain access from my
ASP.NET application to computers outside of my domain and I'll duplicate
this account in those boxes and give the right NTFS permission.

Thanks a lot

Paul Clement

¤
[...]

I don't think this configuration is going to work because IIS will essentially be passing a null
session to SQL Server when attempting to delegate impersonated credentials to the remote server
using integrated security.

See the following documentation (Section: Using integrated Windows authentication at the Web server)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetch05.asp

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)