Custome Service Account - Problem connecting to SQL Server (Timeou

chris

Hi, My webserver is in DMZ zone, not in domain. I created a local user on it
and an application pool for assigning it to my web site (ASP.NET 2005 - IIS
6.0). The application pool has a configurable identity (Test_User) for
connection to SQL server 2005. In SQL Server I created a local account
(mirrored user for the one create on webserver). I create a login for this
user (SQLServer\Test_User) and a database user and gave permission to stored
procedures. My connection string is

connectionString="Data Source=server;Initial Catalog=db_name; Integrated
Security=SSPI " providerName="System.Data.SqlClient".

I get an error for timeout.

I tried to connect with ODBC from WEBSERVER to SQLSERVER with the custom
service account I created & integrated security and it works fine. I can view
the data of stored procedures. So there is no problem with permissions of
custom service account.

What could be the problem ? In application pool the configurable identity is
"SQLSERVER\TestUser". The SQL server login is "SQLSERVER\TestUser" with same
password. What have I missed ?

Thanks a lot in advance!

George Ter-Saakov

Can be anything, most likely it's a firwall blocking access to SQL server..

George.

chris

But since it works with SQL Authentication (sa user) and ODBC works
(SQLServer\Test_User), then it should not be a firewall, isn't ?

Does custom service account require a different port than 1433 ?

George Ter-Saakov

Can you show us exact error...does it have words Named Pipes in it?

The problem is that SQL server allows 2 way connections
1. Named Pipes
2. TCP/IP

Try to add following to your connection string
Network Library=DBMSSOCN;

I am not sure but with Integrated Security=SSPI provider might try to force
the Named Pipes connection. And you need totally different ports open on
firewall for that.

George.

chris

Thanks George for your messages. It seems that I had to increase the
connection timeout in connection string to a big number 400. Till now I kept
the default one, 15 and error was appearing.

It seems that custom service account needs more time for connecting....