connecting two computers

Alex

I need to write a java program to transfer files between two
computers connected directly by a network cable. I've written code
to transfer files between two computers on a network, but I'm not
sure how to create a connection between only two computers connected
only by a network cable.

Any help would be GREAT!

Roedy Green

I need to write a java program to transfer files between two
computers connected directly by a network cable. I've written code
to transfer files between two computers on a network, but I'm not
sure how to create a connection between only two computers connected
only by a network cable.

Surely you can find decent off the shelf software that creates a LAN
style link using that network cable. You don't have to reinvent the
wheel. Windows 2000 has a built in scheme. Go into Control Panel |
Network. Then create a new connection. Don't be frightened about the
telephone questions. Humour it. Then create a direct connection host
or guest.

Once you have that LAN link, you can talk to the other machine via
files with odd names containing the server, fake remapped remote
drives, or via URLs.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/uri.html
and http://mindprod.com/fileio.html

You can transfer files on the same machine, the same LAN or over the
net. See http://mindprod.com/products.html#FILETRANSFER

For resynching, to keep one machine up to date with the other, there
are special laptop resynch tools so you don't have to send all the
files.

Roedy Green

I need to write a java program to transfer files between two
computers connected directly by a network cable. I've written code
to transfer files between two computers on a network, but I'm not
sure how to create a connection between only two computers connected
only by a network cable.

I presumed you meant a serial cable. You can build a tiny ethernet
LAN cheaply with two $15 ethernet cards and a 6 foot crossover 10 base
T cable. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cables.html#TENBASET

It is so cheap and so fast there is no point is horsing around with
serial cables unless there is no way to squeeze in an ethernet card.

Setting up the LAN is pretty easy. Win2K pretty well does it
automatically once you insert the cards, connect the two and power up.

You want to make sure your TCP/IP is configured. You can manually
assign each an IP if DHCP won't work. Give each machine a unique name
and a common workgroup name. Basically you do everything by poking
around in the menus in the control panel on networking just following
your nose.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ip.html

Matt Humphrey

Roedy Green said:
I presumed you meant a serial cable. You can build a tiny ethernet
LAN cheaply with two $15 ethernet cards and a 6 foot crossover 10 base
T cable. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cables.html#TENBASET

It is so cheap and so fast there is no point is horsing around with
serial cables unless there is no way to squeeze in an ethernet card.

It's even easier to use 2 USB ethernet adapters, still only $15, you don't
have to open the machine and you can reuse the adapters later when you're
done. It's best if you're using Win98 or better for this. The performance
benefits for file moving of 10BaseT vs. serial alone make it worth the cost.

Cheers,
Matt Humphrey (e-mail address removed) http://www.iviz.com/

Liz

Alex said:
I need to write a java program to transfer files between two
computers connected directly by a network cable. I've written code
to transfer files between two computers on a network, but I'm not
sure how to create a connection between only two computers connected
only by a network cable.

Any help would be GREAT!

What is the real requirement? Is it to move files and someone thinks this
is fast and cheap? You can use one of those USB thumb drives.

Yu SONG

Alex said:
I need to write a java program to transfer files between two
computers connected directly by a network cable. I've written code
to transfer files between two computers on a network, but I'm not
sure how to create a connection between only two computers connected
only by a network cable.

Any help would be GREAT!

The Java program depends on which communication protocol you are using...

--
Song

/* E-mail.c */
#define User "Yu.Song"