controltovalidate property of customvalidator is incorrect

TS

hello, i have an inherited Textbox control that adds a customvalidator to
its controls. This works fine. I have another composite control (radio
button list) that contains this textbox control. I have a public property on
this control that is used to set the CustomValidator.ControlToValidate with
the correct ID. This validator when run is trying to validate the radio
button list control instead of the correct textbox.

I notice that the .ControlToValidate property is set correctly still at
addAttributesToRender event, but the rendered html for the validators sets
this validator's controltovalidate to the clientId of the radiobuttonlist
control. I wonder why it happens. like I said, this textbox control and its
validator works correctly by itself, its only when i include the textbox
inside my radiobuttonlist control that the validator uses the incorrect
controltovalidate.

is there a way i can see why this is getting done - i can't debug it because
its microsoft code.

thansk

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi TS,

From your description, you've built a custom compostive control(which
contains a textbox), currently, when you use a custom validtor to validate
the Textbox (inside that composite control), you get error indicate the
textbox can not be located, correct?

Based on my understanding, the problem should be caused by the how the
validator control will try locating the "ControlToValidate" control
instance. the Validator controls will only use "ControlToValidate" as ID
and call FindControl at the current Parent namingContainer, below is the
code logic of the BaseValidator(from reflector):

=========================
protected void CheckControlValidationProperty(string name, string
propertyName)
{
Control component = this.NamingContainer.FindControl(name);
if (component == null)
{
throw new HttpException(SR.GetString("Validator_control_not_found",
new object[] { name, propertyName, this.ID }));
}
if (GetValidationProperty(component) == null)
{
throw new HttpException(SR.GetString("Validator_bad_control_type",
new object[] { name, propertyName, this.ID }));
=========================

Therefore, I'm afraid you can not let validtor control directly locate the
inner textbox nested in your Composite control. For your scenario, I think
you may implement the validation(for the inner TextBox as below):

** Add an dedicated public property on the composite control which expose
the Textbox's "Text" property value

** Apply "ValidationPropertyAttribute" on the composite control and specify
the dedicatd property (defined above) as the validation property.

#ValidationPropertyAttribute Class
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.validationpropertyatt
ribute(VS.71).aspx

Thus, you can make other validator controls validate against the dedicated
property of the composite so as to validate the value of the inner TextBox.
How do you think?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

TS

thanks, i tried that, but it didn't work. The validation works, but when the
client side validation runs, it validates the selected value of clientsigned
(radiobuttonlist) instead of the text of the textbox.

note that my composite control is an inherited radioButtonList. Note that
DateBox is a Textbox that adds the validation controls i'm interested in, so
my radiobuttonlist contains a subclassed Textbox which contains some
validators. In the textbox, i set it's validator's controlToValidate
property with the textbox's ID; i'm thinking that somewhere the validator
chooses to use the parent (clientSigned) as its control to validate as
evidence by the rendered html at the bottom.

thanks!

[ValidationPropertyAttribute("DateText")]
public class ClientSigned : DSHS.SNF.Web.Control.RadioButtonList,
DSHS.SNF.Web.Control.IInputControl
{

DSHS.SNF.Web.Control.DateBox dbBox;

DSHS.SNF.Web.Control.Label lblDate;

public ClientSigned()

: base()

{

this.Items.Add(new ListItem("Yes", "Y"));

// add "no" and make it default selected

ListItem no = new ListItem("No", "N");

no.Selected = true;

this.Items.Add(no);

}

public string DateText

{

get { return dbBox.Text; }

set { dbBox.Text = value; }

}

public string dateControlID = string.Empty;

public string DateControlID

{

get { return dateControlID; }

set { dateControlID = value; }

base.CreateChildControls();

lblDate = new Label();

lblDate.ID = string.Format("lbl{0}", DateControlID);

lblDate.Text = "Date: ";

dbBox = new DateBox();

dbBox.ID = DateControlID;

dbBox.Columns = 12;

dbBox.ValidatorLabel = ValidatorLabel;

dbBox.IsRequired = IsRequired;

dbBox.ValidationGroup = ValidationGroup;

dbBox.ValidationGroup1 = ValidationGroup1;

Controls.Add(dbBox);

}}

This is the the stuff asp.net rendered for the validator. Notice the
controltovalidate points to the client id of clientsigned instead of the
actual textbox whose client id is:
ctl00_ctl00_ContentMainPlaceHolder_ApplicationContentMainPlaceHolder_ClientS
igned_ClientSignatureDate

var
ctl00_ctl00_ContentMainPlaceHolder_ApplicationContentMainPlaceHolder_ClientS
igned_DVClientSignatureDate = document.all ?
document.all["ctl00_ctl00_ContentMainPlaceHolder_ApplicationContentMainPlace
Holder_ClientSigned_DVClientSignatureDate"] :
document.getElementById("ctl00_ctl00_ContentMainPlaceHolder_ApplicationConte
ntMainPlaceHolder_ClientSigned_DVClientSignatureDate");
ctl00_ctl00_ContentMainPlaceHolder_ApplicationContentMainPlaceHolder_ClientS
igned_DVClientSignatureDate.controltovalidate =
"ctl00_ctl00_ContentMainPlaceHolder_ApplicationContentMainPlaceHolder_Client
Signed";
ctl00_ctl00_ContentMainPlaceHolder_ApplicationContentMainPlaceHolder_ClientS
igned_DVClientSignatureDate.focusOnError = "t";
ctl00_ctl00_ContentMainPlaceHolder_ApplicationContentMainPlaceHolder_ClientS
igned_DVClientSignatureDate.display = "Dynamic";
ctl00_ctl00_ContentMainPlaceHolder_ApplicationContentMainPlaceHolder_ClientS
igned_DVClientSignatureDate.evaluationfunction =
"CustomValidatorEvaluateIsValid";
ctl00_ctl00_ContentMainPlaceHolder_ApplicationContentMainPlaceHolder_ClientS
igned_DVClientSignatureDate.clientvalidationfunction = "ValidateDate";
ctl00_ctl00_ContentMainPlaceHolder_ApplicationContentMainPlaceHolder_ClientS
igned_DVClientSignatureDate.validateemptytext = "true";

Steven Cheng said:
Hi TS,

From your description, you've built a custom compostive control(which
[...]

Thanks for your reply TS,

So the actual control structure of your composite control is as below:

**Your custom RadioButtonList control is the toplevel container control

**A DateBox child control is nested in RadioButtonList control and it is
also a composte control (inherit from TextBox ) and contains some validator
controls

Is my understanding consistent to your current page's control structure?

As I mentioned earilier, validator control must be put at the same level
with the target control it want to validate. Thus, for your scenario, if
your DateBox inherit from TextBox, and it also contains child validators
that will validate itself(since it is the TextBox), I'm afraid this may
raise problem. I suggest you try the following approach to implement the
DateBox:

** Define DateBox as a custom composite control derived from
CompositeControl(or WebControl and implement INamingContainer), do not
inherit from TextBox

** Add a TextBox and Validators into the DateBox as child controls.

** Assign the TextBox's ID to those validators's ControlToValidate
property. Since they're at the same control structure level, the validator
should be able to locate the TextBox correctlty.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

TS

you are correct about my current structure.

The date box when used by itself (not nested inside the Radiobuttonlist) and
contains validators works fine, the validators find it correctly even though
the validators are added as controls of the DateBox. There is no issue in
this scenario, the only issue is when I add this control to my
radiobuttonlist control is when the validator can't find the textbox
anymore.

i'd prefer to keep it as an inherited control since i don't have to
re-expose all the properties since they come by default with using a
radiobuttonlist.

Currently i have no way to debug why this is happening. Is there event i can
tie into that will help shed some light on why the rendered
validator.controltovalidate property points to the clientID of the main
container (radiobuttonlist)? Maybe i can override a base method so i can
control how the RENDERED controltovalidate property of the rendered
validator gets set?

thanks

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply TS,

For for current implementation, the custom DateBox directly inherited from
TextBox, one thing I've noticed is that TextBox control is a simple
WebControl which doesn't implement INamingContainer interface, that means
if you add other child controls into its Controls collection(like composite
control), it may cause problem. I suggest you try making your custom
DateBox control implement the INamingContainer interface and test it to see
whether it make any difference.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi TS,

Have you got any progress on this issue or does the info in my last reply
helps some? If there is any further questions, please don't hesitate to
post here.