Converted ASP.NET project: Refactor pages

Steven Nagy

Howdy folks.

So I have an App from 1.1 that I converted to 2.0.
I now want to refactor a bit.
One of the things I want to do is create master page for the header,
footer and menu that exists on EVERY page in this application.
Currently those 3 items are individually controls on each form.
While I have no problems with how to use Master and Content pages, I
would like to know if there is an easy way to refactor in this
scenario.

Ideally I would like to convert the current format of pages
(something.aspx and something.aspx.cs) into the new 2.0 format
(something.aspx, something.aspx.designer.cs and something.aspx.cs), as
well as extracting the page into a Master page.

Can this be done easily? If I can do one but not the other (master
extraction, or new file heirarchy) then I would still be happy. Both
would make me extatic. Neither means I have a hard night of manual
extraction ahead of me.

Thanks!
Steven

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Part of it will be easy, part probably not.

It is easy enough to add master page and rid the controls. It is also
possible to chagne the form tag to your content container tag, provided you
only have one hot region.

Stripping out all of the header and footer information will be a bit harder,
but you can write a program to look for the start and end tags of each
secti8on.

Make a backup before doing anything.