Converting a perl module to a python module would it be worth it?

Mothra

Hi All,

I am the current author of the Astro-Sunrise perl module
http://search.cpan.org/~rkhill/Astro-Sunrise-0.91/Sunrise.pm
and was wondering if it would be worth while to convert it to python.
First off, I have never programmed in python. I would like to use
this project to learn python. I was wondering if there was a
"How to program python for perl programmers" Kinda
like what is different between the two, pitfalls for perl programmers
and what not.
Another question is, if I do this where can I put the results?
As far as I know python has no "CPAN".

Thanks in advance.

Mothra

bruno modulix

Mothra said:
Hi All,

I am the current author of the Astro-Sunrise perl module
http://search.cpan.org/~rkhill/Astro-Sunrise-0.91/Sunrise.pm
and was wondering if it would be worth while to convert it to python.

Only you and your module's users may tell...
First off, I have never programmed in python. I would like to use
this project to learn python.

Well, this might be an answer to your first question !-)
I was wondering if there was a
"How to program python for perl programmers"
Kinda
like what is different between the two, pitfalls for perl programmers
and what not.

http://www.hackdiary.com/slides/lpw2004/
http://starship.python.net/crew/aahz/OSCON2002/
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-September/241757.html
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/

Google is your friend, as usual...

Note that, apart from the Perl/Python diffs, Python has some (few)
gotchas, one of them being the difference between mutable and immutable
objects.
Another question is, if I do this where can I put the results?
As far as I know python has no "CPAN". http://www.python.org/pypi/

Thanks in advance.

HTH, and welcome on board.

PS: please don't consider my sig as representative of a good Python
coding style !-)

Ivan Van Laningham

Hi All--

bruno said:
Only you and your module's users may tell...

I'd use it.
Well, this might be an answer to your first question !-)

If you can get your mind off the @#)*&^@#!!&-ing Perl syntax, you'll be
fine;-)

They're working on the Python version of CPAN, but it's taking a long
time. I think they started in 1998 or so? Haven't kept up, so I have
no idea what's taking so long. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than
me will come along and set us straight.

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

Mothra

Ivan Van Laningham said:
Hi All--

I'd use it.

I guess I spoke to soon
http://kortis.to/radix/python/code/Sun.py

This was from the same source I used to create ny module.
If you can get your mind off the @#)*&^@#!!&-ing Perl syntax, you'll be
fine;-)

They're working on the Python version of CPAN, but it's taking a long
time. I think they started in 1998 or so? Haven't kept up, so I have
no idea what's taking so long. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than
me will come along and set us straight.
I checked out the above link (thanks!!) I need to look deeper
at the docs for creating a "module"

Thanks all for the responses!!

Mothra

Bruno Desthuilliers

Mothra a écrit :
(snip)
I checked out the above link (thanks!!) I need to look deeper
at the docs for creating a "module"

Well, start with wrting the code - you'll take care of
how-to-distribute-it later.
Thanks all for the responses!!

You're welcome.