Copying web projects

David

Hi all,

I am using VS 2008 and my designer is using VS Web Developer Express.

I have copied my web project up to the SVN and he has downloaded it. After a
lot of faffing around, we have the webserver running on his machine.

However, as VS doesn't have the .csproj file in the folder, he can't add it
as a project.

So, what he has done is to create a new project, and "Add existing items" to
add the files, however, when he saves, it is not saving in the source
directory (where his IIS is serving the files from).

How should I set this up?

I am just about to try:

Create a new web project (in a new IIS virtual dir)
Copy all the files to that new dir.

--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

David said:
Hi all,

I am using VS 2008 and my designer is using VS Web Developer Express.

I assume you mean you are using Web Developer Express 2008 and not both? If
so, things are fine. If not, you do not need to use both if you have VS
2008. Enough of this.
I have copied my web project up to the SVN and he has downloaded it. After
a lot of faffing around, we have the webserver running on his machine.

However, as VS doesn't have the .csproj file in the folder, he can't add
it as a project.

Did you also upload the solution file to SVN, as it specifies which
directory to connect to. This is not critical, as he does not have to "add
it as a project" to work with the downloaded source. He merely does one of
two things

Option 1
1. Create the web site in IIS
2. Open the web site in VS20008 by opening from IIS

Option 2
1. Open the web site by specifying a directory (this will use the dev web
server instead)
So, what he has done is to create a new project, and "Add existing items"
to add the files, however, when he saves, it is not saving in the source
directory (where his IIS is serving the files from).

You can go this directory, but you move the source and have to resync with
SVN. Not cool.
How should I set this up?

See options above
I am just about to try:

Create a new web project (in a new IIS virtual dir)
Copy all the files to that new dir.

It is easier just to open the IIS manager and then create a new application.
Then point it to the folder in question, using the wizard. Test to make sure
it works and then open it in VS.

David

The problem we were having was vista.

I have managed to get it sorted now.

He couldn't create a website for two reasons. Something to do with the
metabase and admin priviledges.

So, start web dev express as admin. Create site fine (after the metabase
stuff was handled).

Download from svn... nope. Wouldn't work. Damn vista again. Had to assign
permissions to the folder in wwwroot.

Eventually got svn to download, doh!!! we forgot to remove the newly created
site prior to SVN, so web.config an default.aspx locally were not
overwritten.

We eventually got going.

Thanks for your help.

re the using of VS...

I am using VS 2008. The designer is using Web Dev Express 2008.

--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Vista, prior to SP1, was a real pain. After, it is mostly an admin only
issue. Prior, you ended up with IIS 6 compatibility bits having to be
installed. Glad you figured it out.