CPAN commandline tool is not working

skywriter14

Dear Group,

I am using Perl in my Ubuntu machine where CPAN commandline tool is
acting very strange. Looks like, it is getting false response form all
or any CPAN mirror. I reconfigured cpan 'urllist' few times with
different sets of 7/8 urls. But it always stalls and keeps getting 404
and 500 status from all the mirrors.

My net connection is OK, I downloaded the same files with wget
manually, for which cpan gets 404 (01mailrc etc). I cannot do 'install
Bundle::CPAN' successfully for the same reason, keep getting 404 and
500 status from all mirrors. I have been downloading source for
different modules that in need for my current project, one by one all
day and building them manually, as cpan command is not helping.
Following dependencies and doing same thigs over and over for each
module is very frustrating. So it was a very stressful day for me.

Can anyone suggest what might be the reason and how can I fix my CPAN
commandline tool? Thanks in advance.

regards,
Sumon

Ben Morrow

Quoth skywriter14 said:
I am using Perl in my Ubuntu machine where CPAN commandline tool is
acting very strange. Looks like, it is getting false response form all
or any CPAN mirror. I reconfigured cpan 'urllist' few times with
different sets of 7/8 urls. But it always stalls and keeps getting 404
and 500 status from all the mirrors.

Can you show us a log from an attempt to use CPAN? Just running 'reload
index' in the shell ought to be enough if all fetches are failing. It's
possible you have an invalid proxy set in your environment, though wget
generally honours the same environment vars as LWP. It's also possible
CPAN is using some external command for downloading that is misbehaving.

Ben

skywriter14

Can you show us a log from an attempt to use CPAN? Just running 'reload
index' in the shell ought to be enough if all fetches are failing. It's
possible you have an invalid proxy set in your environment, though wget
generally honours the same environment vars as LWP. It's also possible
CPAN is using some external command for downloading that is misbehaving.

Ben

Thanks Ben. I fixed the problem by adding main cpan.org in the list.
And sorry, I cannot show the cpan command logs as I did many things on
the same terminal, they are gone. Here is the urllist from CPAN's
MyConfig.pm file.

'urllist' => [ q[http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/], q[http://
mirror.lums.edu.pk], q[ftp://cpan.hexten.net/], q[ftp://
cpan.hostrack.net/pub/CPAN], q[ftp://cpan.llarian.net/pub/CPAN/],
q[ftp://cpan.mirrors.redwire.net/pub/CPAN/], q[ftp://
cpan.mirrors.tds.net/pub/CPAN], q[ftp://cpan.netnitco.net/pub/mirrors/
CPAN/], q[ftp://cpan.erlbaum.net/CPAN/]],

I added the second url by following search.cpan.org in opera statusbar
(search.cpan.org is redirecting me in opera to http://mirror.lums.edu.pk
all day. But even that did not work). Now I added http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/
in the beginning, and it is working. Not sure why this happened. All
these mirrors work through wget. Do you understand what was the exact
problem? Thanks again, I will use 'reload index' next time I hit
similar problems.

brian d foy

I am using Perl in my Ubuntu machine where CPAN commandline tool is
acting very strange. Looks like, it is getting false response form all
or any CPAN mirror. I reconfigured cpan 'urllist' few times with
different sets of 7/8 urls. But it always stalls and keeps getting 404
and 500 status from all the mirrors.

Can you post a transcript of what you see when you run the cpan(1)
command?
Can anyone suggest what might be the reason and how can I fix my CPAN
commandline tool? Thanks in advance.

If you're getting network errors, it's probably not cpan(1) that's
having problems. Are you able to reach those sites through another
means, such as FTP or a browser?

brian d foy

Thanks Ben. I fixed the problem by adding main cpan.org in the list.
And sorry, I cannot show the cpan command logs as I did many things on
the same terminal, they are gone.

You could always just run the command again :)

skywriter14

You could always just run the command again :)

Hi Brian,

:) I do feel like a fool, but CPAN is working alright now. So I cannot
recreate the same errors again by running the command again. I did not
want to recreate the problem again to show the output, as I am already
running behind the work schedule. But I can describe: in general all
the means of query failed one by one for each mirror, the LWP, then
Net::FTP and so on.

I did copy the urls they failed to get (01mailrc... and others), and
tried with wget and they were downloaded. I am happy that it is
working now, but do not feel very intelligent because I do not
understand what exactly went wrong and what exactly fixed it. Again,
my internet connection was OK all the time. Thanks for the reply
though. :)