Create a page with empty response

ra294

I am building a page that needs to recieve some parametes and return blank
page (empty response).
After I recieve the parametes I write:
Response.clear
Response.End

When I run the page I still get some html when doing "view source" in IE:

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1255"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

How so return a completly blank page ?

Thanks

ra294

ra294

I just did as you mentioned but I still get html code when doing view
source:

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1255"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

Any other idea ?

Thanks
ra294

Eliyahu Goldin said:
In the .aspx file leave just one line with the <%@ Page ... directive and
delete all the rest.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

ra294 said:
I am building a page that needs to recieve some parametes and return blank
page (empty response).
After I recieve the parametes I write:
Response.clear
Response.End

When I run the page I still get some html when doing "view source" in IE:

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1255"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

How so return a completly blank page ?

Thanks

ra294

Damien

ra294 said:
I just did as you mentioned but I still get html code when doing view
source:

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1255"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

Any other idea ?

Thanks
ra294
I've tried everything I can think of, and it either still has those
lines appearing, or (in one case) it opens the file download popup box
and then downloads an empty file.

So given that it doesn't seem possible to do exactly what you've asked
for, how about telling us why you (thought you) needed this exact
behaviour, and maybe we can suggest some alternatives?

Damien

Eliyahu Goldin

Yes, I can observe it. It is strange to me since I do have an application
where it works. It is in 1.1 though. Could be this changed between the
versions? I will try to investigate more.

--

ra294 said:
I am building a page that needs to recieve some parametes and return
blank page (empty response).
After I recieve the parametes I write:
Response.clear
Response.End

When I run the page I still get some html when doing "view source" in
IE:

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1255"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

How so return a completly blank page ?

Thanks

ra294

Eliyahu Goldin

Some more researching indicates that the possible culprit is the browser. In
my old working application the empty response arrives to an ActiveX control.
And if you get the response by some other means, not by the browser, it does
come empty.

--

Eliyahu Goldin said:
[...]

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I still get html code when doing view source:

If basic html markup isn't sent to a browser, no browser will be able to read the page.
A browser needs the basic html markup sent to it if you want it to read the response.

ra294 said:
I am building a page that needs to recieve some parametes and return blank page (empty response).
After I recieve the parametes I write:
Response.clear
Response.End

When I run the page I still get some html when doing "view source" in IE:

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1255"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

How so return a completly blank page ?

Thanks

ra294

Eliyahu Goldin

Juan,

Do you mean the browser substitutes a response that doesn't meet the minimal
requirements with the standard minimum? Or you are referring to the server
side?

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin
http://usableasp.net

re:

Eliyahu Goldin said:
[...]

Hi, Eliyahu.

I'm referring to standard html emitted by the server.
All the ASP.NET engine does is send HTML markup to the browser, as you know.

It doesn't send anything else, so sending nothing is impossible.
If there is to be *something* received by the browser, it *must* be enclosed within html tags.

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Juan,

Do you mean the browser substitutes a response that doesn't meet the minimal requirements with the
standard minimum? Or you are referring to the server side?

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin
http://usableasp.net

re:

ra294 said:
[...]

Browsers are not the only possible http clients. And http response is not
necessarily intended for displaying.

I have an application with an ActiveX control that http posts images to the
server. The control expects an empty response as an indicator of success.
Any non-empty response is considered as an error. So I made a page that
accepts images, saves them and returns nothing. Everyone is happy: the
control, me and the customer.

I think the browser is the one who inserts the standard empty html. Another
agent is IIS, but I don't think the IIS would bother to get involved into
the message content.

--

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Juan,

Do you mean the browser substitutes a response that doesn't meet the
minimal requirements with the standard minimum? Or you are referring to
the server side?

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin
http://usableasp.net

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:
I still get html code when doing view source:

If basic html markup isn't sent to a browser, no browser will be able to
read the page.
A browser needs the basic html markup sent to it if you want it to read
the response.

I just did as you mentioned but I still get html code when doing view
source:

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1255"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

Any other idea ?

Thanks
ra294

message In the .aspx file leave just one line with the <%@ Page ... directive
and delete all the rest.

--
[...]

Agreed, but if a non-standard client was under consideration,
I'd expect that tidbit to be mentioned in the post, so I assumed
a browser was at the receiving end.

re:
http response is not necessarily intended for displaying

It either is displayed...or is written into the source ( like scripts are... ).
Either way, html markup is needed, isn't it ?

re:
ActiveX control

Easily done that way.

re:
I think the browser is the one who inserts the standard empty html.

I'll have to look into that. Do you have a reference ?

Eliyahu Goldin said:
[...]

No, I don't. This is just my guess based on some testing I managed to do. I
will be happy if you could either confirm or disprove it.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin
http://usableasp.net

re:

Juan T. Llibre said:
Hi, Eliyahu.

I'm referring to standard html emitted by the server.
All the ASP.NET engine does is send HTML markup to the browser, as you
know.

It doesn't send anything else, so sending nothing is impossible.
If there is to be *something* received by the browser, it *must* be
enclosed within html tags.

message Juan,