Creating Calendars for a Web Archive Help Request

RC Gray

Hi all.

I'm still new to HTML/CSS. So I apologize if my terminology is not
correct. Right now I'm working on an online comic strip to force myself
to learn the basics on web design (using Dreamweaver CS 4). The
strip itself is not online yet due to working on creating the archive.
The layout is pretty simple, all DIV's on top of the other. There's a
wrapper which contains the following: a DIV for the banner, links, the
body content, and the footer.

Everything's going fairly well, except for the archive page for previous
comics. The idea I have so far is to have monthly calendars, three
across with a header for each year.

For example:

2012
January

2011
October November December

At first, I tried using tables for the calendars, but all I could seem
to do is put one on top of the previous calendar, rather than next to
it. Then I tried using individual DIV's within the body content DIV for
each calendar, but when I went to the second row of three across, it
pushes the previous three months from the body content into a section
above the footer where the body content CSS doesn't seem to apply. I've
tried to get the body content DIV to have an auto height so that the
body content expands with each new DIV calendar, but so far, it's just
not working.

Alternatively, I was thinking of foregoing DIV's for each month and
going back to tables. I'm trying out the idea of creating a three column
table, and within each column, putting a new table containing the
calendars. So my question is, does this sound viable, or should I go
back to the individual DIV's? And if so, what would you recommend to
keep the DIV's within the body content? I entered in auto for the height
for the body content DIV, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

I've stayed away from Javascript at this point because I'm just not
familiar enough with it at this point, and would like to try it through
HTML/CSS

Like I said, I'm still new at this and am figuring out the terminology,
so I hope that I've explained the issue well enough short of inundating
you with the code.

Ross

dorayme

Right now I'm working on an online comic strip ... ...
The layout is pretty simple, all DIV's on top of the other. There's a
wrapper which contains the following: a DIV for the banner, links, the
body content, and the footer.

Reasonable enough under some circumstances. But if each comic
strip is just one image, then stacking the images one on top of
the other, assigning margins, is less markup, no need for too
many DIVS.
Everything's going fairly well, except for the archive page for previous
comics. The idea I have so far is to have monthly calendars, three
across with a header for each year.

For example:

2012
January

2011
October November December

Too hard for me to imagine quite what you are doing from all your
words. Or should I say, too easy to think up too many things you
might be wanting. Can you simplify or provide some text URL that
illustrates or even pictures what you want?

Adrienne Boswell

RC Gray said:
Like I said, I'm still new at this and am figuring out the terminology,
so I hope that I've explained the issue well enough short of inundating
you with the code.

As others have said, we need a URL. If you don't have a URL, then check
with your ISP, many will give you free space to upload something.
Otherwise, check with one of the free hosting companies.

RC Gray

Since the gist is to post it online for feedback, I'll get on that.
Thanks all for the input. It's much appreciated.