CSS z-index query

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David Russell, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    I am not sure if this is the right forum for this type of question, so I ask
    with trepidation...

    I have a site (sample at: http://www.kiriath-arba.com/aquiva/) which I am
    trying to develop.

    The problem I am having is in the positioning of the logo (top left). As it
    is on the website, it appears perfectly on IE, but the logo does not appear
    on Netscape/Firefox, etc. (Haven't tried Opera yet...too depressed)

    The crux of the problem is that the logo image, due to the thin line
    dangling down the page means that if I had everything on the same z-index,
    then it covers the top line or two of text. to resolve this, I added a
    z-index to my stylesheet (http://www.kiriath-arba.com/aquiva/aquiva.css) and
    tried to put the image on z-index: 1 and the body on z-index:2. This did
    nothing at all.

    After playing around, I discovered that if I made the image z-index: -1,
    then it worked on IE, but disappeared completely from Netscape/Firefox

    what should I be doing to get the thing working properly? I am getting
    somewhat frustrated at what I expected would be a quick and easy. Or is this
    merely a limitation to netscape that I'll have to live with?

    Thanks in advance

    David Russell

    David Russell, Dec 9, 2004

  2. David Russell

    Pete Gray Guest

    AFAIAA something must be absolutely positioned to have a z-index.
    Position .main and give it a z-indexof 2, give .Logo a z-index of 1
    (otherwise it hides behind .toplogo).

    Does that help?
    No, it looks like it's IE getting it wrong again.

    Pete Gray, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Hi Pete

    Yes, that does it...I was convinced that I tried that at some stage...but
    obviously not...Thanks a stack...

    David Russell, Dec 10, 2004