Custom Taglib problems - instead of a single instance per page, I have a single instance per applica

chris brat

Hi,

What is the correct expected behaviour when using a taglib regarding
how many objects are created per page/application?

More clearly, I created a custom tag (call it MyCustomTag) lib
and am using it in a JSP page - I expected that for each request
a new instance of the MyCustomTag class would be instantiated
and all its instance variables would be initialized.

However only one instance is being created (for multiple requests from
different clients)
and is being 'shared' between multiple pages (it seems to be a single
instance used application wide).

How do I force a single instance of this tag per page?

Thanks
Chris

chris brat

For anyone who might have the same problem:

I was using Tomcat 5.5 which seems to maintains a pool of instantiated
Tag objects, from which it first retrieves any existing instance before
creating a new instance - I think this is for performance improvements.

This tag pool is then kept in the servlet context - which is why my one
tag instance was available throughout the application.

Chris