data compression algorithms on FPGA

Geronimo Stempovski

Hi there,

I'm thinking about implementing some data compression algorithms on an FPGA
(Xilinx Virtex-II) using VHDL. Because speed and FPGA utilization are very
important in this respect, I'd like to get some basic idea about complexity
and achieveable speed before starting.

Does anyone know about existing FPGA- implementations of

- Run-Length-Encoding (RLE)

- RLE with Burrows-Wheeler Transformation (BWT)

- JBIG

- Lempel-Ziv LZ77

and the achieved throughput und device utilization? Maybe some details about
existing ASIC implementations of the above mentioned methods may also
help...?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Gero

comp.arch.fpga

Does anyone know about existing FPGA- implementations of

- Run-Length-Encoding (RLE)

We did a schematic implementation of an RLE coder for the XC3100A
family. It achieved around 85MHz.
Later we implemented a 150MHz Huffman encoder in Spartan-II.

Both were rather simple projects.

Kolja Sulimma

Geronimo Stempovski

thanks for the fast response, what about complexity, i.e. equivalent gate
count?

comp.arch.fpga

thanks for the fast response, what about complexity, i.e. equivalent gate
count?

Next to nothing for the RLE (40 LUTs???). A barrel shifter, a BRAM and
some logic for the Huffmann.

Kolja Sulimma