    can anybody suggest me a good book for Data Strucutes in Java ,
    because for topics like Collection Framework one should have good
    knowledge of Hash Tables And Link Lists etc ..

    [email protected], Feb 27, 2007

  2. hthukral@sun

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Actually, for data structures like Hash Tables And [sic] Linked
    Lists, Java provides implementations for you (HashMap, LinkedList
    respectively), so that you don't NEED to understand the underlying
    mechanics.

    Although, from an academic point of view, knowing the basis of how
    those work is a good thing. Knowing them in Java specifically isn't
    that much more valuable as knowing them at all.

    A good place to start:
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=algorithms+in+java>

    Daniel Pitts, Feb 27, 2007

  3. hthukral@sun

    Hal Rosser Guest

    Here's a good book:
    Data Structures using Java
    by Malik
    it costs 84.95 at Amazon.
    His book on data structures using c++ is good also,
    Data structures theory isn't too language-centered.

    Hal Rosser, Feb 28, 2007
  4. Data Structures With Java by John Hubbard and Anita Huray is pretty
    good. There's a review here: http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0056.html

    TechBookReport, Mar 1, 2007
  5. Data structures are abstract and should best be discussed / taught in a
    language-neutral environment (at least use pseudo-code), since the same
    data structures can be implemented across many languages. Translating the
    pseudo-code into a real language (better two or three) helps you to better
    learn the abstract data structures.
    Two good books I can recommend:

    "Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs" by Edsger Dyjkstra
    "Data Structure Techniques" by Thomas Standish

    A good book on Algorithms would also be useful, since many of the algoritms
    that are discussed in algorithm books exist to manipulate data structures.
    I can recommend "Algorithms" by Robert Sedgewick.

    Cheers!

    Greg R. Broderick

    A. Top posters.

    Greg R. Broderick, Mar 2, 2007
  6. hthukral@sun

    Don Roby Guest

    I agree with the recommendation, but it's by Niklaus Wirth.

    Don Roby, Mar 3, 2007
  7. I second both these recommendations. I learnt a lot from "Algorithms +
    Data Structures = Programs" and have continued to find Sedgewick useful
    throughout my programming career.

    I'd add one more recommendation for a book on algorithms: "Software
    Tools in Rascal" by Kernighan and Plauger. This is particularly good on
    designing code that's inherently fast and on designing interfaces to
    maximize code re-usability.

    Martin Gregorie, Mar 4, 2007