database interface

Philipp Kraus

Hello,

I hope this question is not off-topic.
I'm searching a C++ based interface for different databases, that is
also cross-plattform (OSX, Linux, Windows, also 32 & 64 Bit) and
optimal under a GPL or equivalent licence.
I would like to use Postgres, MS SQL, perhaps mySQL as databases.

Does anybody know a library or template based structures for using
database access under C++?

Thanks

Phil

Öö Tiib

I hope this question is not off-topic.

It is. C++ language contains no support to databases.
I'm searching a C++ based interface for different databases, that is
also cross-plattform (OSX, Linux, Windows, also 32 & 64 Bit) and
optimal under a GPL or equivalent licence.

QT is quite cross-platform, it is C++ indeed, GPL, open source and
there are drivers for several databases:

http://doc.qt.digia.com/stable/sql-driver.html
I would like to use Postgres, MS SQL, perhaps mySQL as databases.

With MS SQL you should use C# not C++. One of the design ideologies
of MS is to be odd, different and incompatible. Also you will find
points in MS EULAS that the stuff MS provides may NEVER be distributed
in GPL-ed context.
Does anybody know a library or template based structures for using
database access under C++?

There are tons of such.

Öö Tiib

LGPL, not GPL. If it were GPL, it would be quite unusuable in commercial
software.

Oh, that part is dim for me. The docs say that it is is GPL 3 and
LGPL 2.1 with exception about something that does not exceed 5%.
Also that the code of examples are under modified BSD.

OP asked specifically for GPL license so that seems to be available
for sure with Qt.
How many (L)GPL libraries do you know that aren't?

Plenty. It does not really bother me. People have right to do what they
want with their code and claim whatever they like on their sites. What
I just recently noticed ... "AutoHotkey" is claiming to be free GPL,
"open-source" macro-creation and automation software. Only that it is
built around some sort of closed source "AutoIt" script engine. So when
I said that Qt is open source then I meant that it is not some sort of
such fake shallow shell built around closed source.

Öö Tiib

If an (L)GPL library is not open source, it's breaking the terms of the
very license itself. Surely the FSF would be interested.

Possibly. I do not think that it is crime when someone has such
subtle contradiction in licenses of stuff that they give for free.

If someone lies to people about stuff that they sell then that
is crime. However it is done every day in commercials.

It is insulting to read the licenses of software for what I pay.
Usually those claim that the software is not guaranteed to
do anything useful but there is possibility that it may by
accident empty my bank account, burn my house and kill my kids.
However in no event I get more back than I originally paid for it.