Debigging global.asa in VS 2005

kaczmar2

I am trying to set up a classic ASP project in Visual Studio 2005, and
I am unsire of how to debug the global.asa file (I can debug a classic
ASP file, though.):

1) Set a breakpoint on any ASP code line and run the debugger
2) In Visual Studio 2005, Select Debug --> Attach to process...
3) Click the Select.. button in the Attach To section
4) Highlight the inetinfo.exe process from the list and click Attach

I can stop on a breakpoint in an asp file, but how can on stop on a
breakpoint in global.asa? If you have to start the application first
and then attach to the process, aren't I already past global.asa?

If anyone has any insight, that would be great.

Christian

Bob Barrows [MVP]

I am trying to set up a classic ASP project in Visual Studio 2005, and
I am unsire of how to debug the global.asa file (I can debug a classic
ASP file, though.):
You would probably be better off posting in the .vsnet.debugging group.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of FPSE on our development web server (which
i think is required), I've never been able to attempt debugging classic asp
in VS.Net so I cannot answer your question.

Mark J. McGinty

I am trying to set up a classic ASP project in Visual Studio 2005, and
I am unsire of how to debug the global.asa file (I can debug a classic
ASP file, though.):

1) Set a breakpoint on any ASP code line and run the debugger
2) In Visual Studio 2005, Select Debug --> Attach to process...
3) Click the Select.. button in the Attach To section
4) Highlight the inetinfo.exe process from the list and click Attach

I can stop on a breakpoint in an asp file, but how can on stop on a
breakpoint in global.asa? If you have to start the application first
and then attach to the process, aren't I already past global.asa?

If anyone has any insight, that would be great.

Assuming you're using VBScript you might try inserting the Stop statement on
its own line. (If using JScript, it's debugger; on its own line.) When the
debugger is attached this should generate a debugging break (a sort-of
hard-coded break point) to make the debugger trap into the code.

I'm not certain it's possible to debug global.asa, but if it is, that should
do it.

-Mark