Debugging a published site on IIS

JB

I've a site which i have copied over from an old server to a new
server and now it doesnt seem to work.
I've been looking through the source code and i know *where* the
problem is, but i dont know *what* the problem is.
Its throwing an exception for some reason, but with debug mode being
turned off i dont know why.

Is there anyway to view more details on the site running on IIS? I
can't rebuild the site unfortunately. I'm sure its a server
configuration error but at the moment i've no way of narrowing down
what the error would be.
A stack trace would be perfect.

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello JB,

for such reason using logging libs are very helpful, when u can turn full
loging on production system and get all necessary info

right now I see only one solution - use winDbg to make the dump file and
google the article how to use asp.net dumps

---
WBR,

J> I've a site which i have copied over from an old server to a new
J> server and now it doesnt seem to work.
J> I've been looking through the source code and i know *where* the
J> problem is, but i dont know *what* the problem is.
J> Its throwing an exception for some reason, but with debug mode being
J> turned off i dont know why.
J> Is there anyway to view more details on the site running on IIS? I
J> can't rebuild the site unfortunately. I'm sure its a server
J> configuration error but at the moment i've no way of narrowing down
J> what the error would be.
J> A stack trace would be perfect.

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

If you put in an Exception handler in Application_Error that logs all the
exception information (either to a file or database) this will make it much
easier to track down the exact issue even to the very line of code, assuming
you've deployed the .pdb files.