Deditor

Kruptein

Hey,

I released a new version (0.2.5) of my pythonic text-editor called
Deditor.

It is a text-editor aimed to fasten your python development. (it
perfectly handels other languages too)
Some features are:
- python shell to do quick commands or checks
- pyflakes error check on save
- pylint error check on demand (menu entry)
- Inspecting of current file
- ...

Syntax highlighting is supported for 78 languages.

An extensive plugin system, written in python, makes it very easy to
add new elements to the program.
Networking (ssh & sftp) are standard included and project management
too (you can disable them)

Please try it out and leave your comment!

download link: http://launchpad.net/deditor

( only a .deb is available for download now, if you would like another
format (.tar.gz) please comment )

Kruptein

Thanks, any plans for a Windows version?

Well actually I have a working version of deditor for windows! it is
0.2.4 though I will do my best to release a windows version asap :)

Algis Kabaila

Hey,

I released a new version (0.2.5) of my pythonic text-editor
called Deditor.
snip...
( only a .deb is available for download now, if you would
like another format (.tar.gz) please comment )

Congratulations! Though I am happy with eric, it will be a
pleasure to look at an alternative. Of course, I want to look
at the source code as that is the way to learn. Good to see
Launchpad and Bazaar put to good use.

I would need the tar ball of the source code, however. :)

I suppose it can be extracted from a deb, but that is an extra
step and inconvenience. Why not a tar ball?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

OldAl.

Kruptein

Congratulations!  Though I am happy with eric, it will be a
pleasure to look at an alternative.  Of course, I want to look
at the source code as that is the way to learn.  Good to see
Launchpad and Bazaar put to good use.

I would need the tar ball of the source code, however.  :)

I suppose it can be extracted from a deb, but that is an extra
step and inconvenience.  Why not a tar ball?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

OldAl.

No problem at all :) it's just that I need to modify some things
before I upload the tarball
It is not the easiest code to understand if you never saw it
before :) the plugin system may look complicated in the beginning but
is actually very easy once you understand it :) I will upload it
tommorow probably

Alec Taylor

By all means I use Linux... when it's available, but I'm often on
non-Linux machines (at Uni), so it'd be great if something like
Deditor was available.

yeah ,I know ,Ubuntu is based on Debian , i said why not linux ,
because someone ask for windows version of this Deditor ,
so, I type :why not linux.. i mean he may like to try a linux-desktop OS;
THX~

That'd be great, saw a bit of the YouTube video, can I confirm that
there's a keyboard shortcut to run the code in the embedded
interpreter, and that there's code-completion?
Well actually I have a working version of deditor for windows! it is
0.2.4 though I will do my best to release a windows version asap :)

Thanks for the speedy reply,

Alec Taylor

jmfauth

Thanks, any plans for a Windows version?

- Download the deb
- Unpack it with a utility like 7zip
- Throw away the unnecessary stuff, (keep the "deditor part")
- Depending on your libs, adatpt the "import"
- Launch deditor.py
- Then ...

[5 minutes]

In fact, this kind of app can be simply packed in a zip file.

jmf

Kruptein

Thanks, any plans for a Windows version?

- Download the deb
- Unpack it with a utility like 7zip
- Throw away the unnecessary stuff, (keep the "deditor part")
- Depending on your libs, adatpt the "import"
- Launch deditor.py
- Then ...

[5 minutes]

In fact, this kind of app can be simply packed in a zip file.

jmf

It isn't that easy as you might have hoped ;) I'm using wxpython for
rendering the GUI somehow some things that work in the linux version
break in the windows version so I need to do some small
modifications and as I'm a hardcore linux fan I ony use windows for
gaming it usually takes a little longer for a windows release, I'm
releasing a tarball now btw :D

jmfauth

- Download the deb
- Unpack it with a utility like 7zip
- Throw away the unnecessary stuff, (keep the "deditor part")
- Depending on your libs, adatpt the "import"
- Launch deditor.py
- Then ...
[5 minutes]
In fact, this kind of app can be simply packed in a zip file.

It isn't that easy as you might have hoped ;)  I'm using wxpython for
rendering the GUI  somehow some things that work in the linux version
break in the windows version  so I need to do some small
modifications  and as I'm a hardcore linux fan I ony use windows for
gaming it usually takes a little longer for a windows release,  I'm
releasing a tarball now btw :D

Sure, it is doable. I have done it (I only tweak the
import in such a way, that it does not import modules
not installed in my machine, like not importing paramiko).

Your application is just a normal application which uses
a Python environment, independently from the platform.

wxPython does not play something special. Exemple, the
wxPython demo can be installed in any dir, even on external
drive.

PS I have no special interest in deditor, except I like
to see what is done with wxPython.

[...]

The problem had to do with the configuration panel which displayed
wrong in windows but right in linux. I fixed it and it should now
actually work on both :p
(and the paramiko import error was because I had forgooten to do a try/
except block somewhere in my plugin management..)

the windows source zip file is online, Alec can make an installer if
he wants :)

jmfauth

[...]

Quick tips, hints, "pedagogical" advices:

- Distributing a zip or a tarball does not matter. By
not distributing a deb and distributing the Py scripts,
you just make your app available for everybody (eg.
the wxPython demo)
- The main problem in your app is not the os. wxPython
runs quite smoothly on all platforms.
- Critical: I can not enter text and the text is not
displayed correctly in the editing part of your app.
Once again, this is not an os issue. The
wx.stc.StyledTextCtrl is not a simple widget to master.
- http://groups.google.com/group/wxpython-users/topics
- Best wishes for your project.

[...]

Jmf,

thanks for the advice, however I do want to know on which os you are
and which python version you use.
As I have never had any problems with not being able to enter text.

And about the os problem:
I always code on linux, my first version of this release worked
perfectly on linux, then I tried it on windows and I found out that
there was some bug that linux ignored but windows complained about
now it is fixed and is indeed cross-platform.

And I chat on #python and #wxpython almost every day/week so I do know
who to contact in case of problems ;)
and styledtextctrl is indeed a pain in the ass some times :p

Alec Taylor

Maybe I'm missing something, but I downloaded the zip file and ran
each .py and .pyc file in turn, but none brought up the nice deditor
GUI I've seen screenshots of...

On the other subject, did you have a preference to what installer I
should code for it? - InnoSetup (exe), NSIS (exe) or MSI (.msi)

Kruptein

Maybe I'm missing something, but I downloaded the zip file and ran
each .py and .pyc file in turn, but none brought up the nice deditor
GUI I've seen screenshots of...

On the other subject, did you have a preference to what installer I
should code for it? - InnoSetup (exe), NSIS (exe) or MSI (.msi)

not a msi, for the rest it doesn't matter :), on my windows if you
run deditor.py it should launch however you need to have the
wxpython-2.8 package installed, what happens if you run deditor.py
from console?

Alec Taylor

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "O:\deditor\deditor\deditor.py", line 7, in <modul
e>
import wx, os, datetime, sys, ConfigParser, wx.aui, wx.lib.scrolledpanel
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\__init__.py", line 4
5, in <module>
from wx._core import *
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\_core.py", line 4, i
n <module>
import _core_
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

Kruptein

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "O:\deditor\deditor\deditor.py", line 7, in <modul
e>
   import wx, os, datetime, sys, ConfigParser, wx.aui, wx.lib.scrolledpanel
 File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\__init__.py", line 4
5, in <module>
   from wx._core import *
 File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\_core.py", line 4, i
n <module>
   import _core_
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

that looks like you have installed the wxpython module wrongly. Have
you downloaded the version that matches your python version?