default webpage with iis7 and web.config

Chuck

Can I set a default webpage for a subdirectory within a website.
In a subdirectory I tried using

<system.webServer>
<defaultDocument>
<files>
<add value="Diagnostics.aspx" />
</files>
</defaultDocument>
</system.webServer>
This didn't work in the subdirectory.

vs2010 iis7

Jerry Weng

Hello Chuck,
Thank you for posting.
From your post, my understanding on this issue is: the defaultDocument
setting in IIS did not work for subdirectory. If I'm off base, please feel
free to let me know.

Yes, we can add a default document in the subdirectory.

By default, default documents are enabled, and IIS 7 defines the following
default document files in the ApplicationHost.config file as server-wide
defaults:

Default.htm
Default.asp
Index.htm
Index.html
Iisstart.htm

By default, when a request arrives for our site's or application's root
directory, IIS attempts to return the correct files in the order that they
appear in the <defaultDocument> element. If the Default.htm file exists,
IIS sends it to the client browser. If the Default.htm file does not exist,
IIS attempts to send the Default.asp file to the browser. IIS continues in
this manner until it attempts to send each default document file to the
client browser.

If we add a web.config in the subdirectory and configure the default
document like what you did, the list of the default documents in that
subdirectory will be like this:

Diagnostics.aspx
Default.htm
Default.asp
Index.htm
Index.html
Iisstart.htm

So I think it should work for the subdirectory. And I tested it with my
IIS, it proved to work fine.

For your issue, maybe you can try to add a <clear /> in the
<defaultDocument> schema to clear the default settings in the parent
configuration file.

<system.webServer>
<defaultDocument>
<files>
<clear />
<add value="Diagnostics.aspx" />
</files>
</defaultDocument>
</system.webServer>

If this could not make a workaround, please tell me more about the issue?
Which page did you see after you set the default doucment in the
subdirectory? Or you saw an error page?

Here is a reference document:
Default Document <defaultDocument>
http://www.iis.net/ConfigReference/system.webServer/defaultDocument

Please let me know the information above so that I can provider further
assistance on this problem. I am looking forward to your reply.

--
Sincerely,
Jerry Weng

ications.

With newsgroups, MSDN subscribers enjoy unlimited, free support as opposed
to the limited number of phone-based technical support incidents. Complex
issues or server-down situations are not recommended for the newsgroups.
Issues of this nature are best handled working with a Microsoft Support
Engineer using one of your phone-based incidents.

--------------------
| From: Chuck <[email protected]>
| Subject: default webpage with iis7 and web.config
| Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:28:32 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Can I set a default webpage for a subdirectory within a website.
| In a subdirectory I tried using
|
| <system.webServer>
| <defaultDocument>
| <files>
| <add value="Diagnostics.aspx" />
| </files>
| </defaultDocument>
| </system.webServer>
| This didn't work in the subdirectory.
|
| vs2010 iis7

Jerry Weng

Hello Chuck,
Did you get to end of this issue?
Please feel free to reply me if you want to get more help for this problem.
---
> [...]

| subdirectory? Or you saw an error page?
|
| Here is a reference document:
| Default Document <defaultDocument>
| http://www.iis.net/ConfigReference/system.webServer/defaultDocument
|
| Please let me know the information above so that I can provider further
| assistance on this problem. I am looking forward to your reply.
|
| --
| Sincerely,
| Jerry Weng
| Microsoft Online Community Support

| ications.
|
| With newsgroups, MSDN subscribers enjoy unlimited, free support as
opposed
| to the limited number of phone-based technical support incidents. Complex
| issues or server-down situations are not recommended for the newsgroups.
| Issues of this nature are best handled working with a Microsoft Support
| Engineer using one of your phone-based incidents.

| |
| | Can I set a default webpage for a subdirectory within a website.
| | In a subdirectory I tried using
| |
| | <system.webServer>
| | <defaultDocument>