Deploying 2.0 app on a Service Provider .. Membership Provider

sloan

Are there any "gotchas" on deploying the default Membership Provider
(aspnetdb) to a hosting provider?

I'm about to do it.

And how does one get to the "auto configurer" .. that allows you to setup
roles/users .....?

Can I do these steps:

To create a membership user
1.. On the Website menu, click ASP.NET Configuration.

2.. Select the Security tab, click the link to Use the security Setup
Wizard to configure security step by step, and then click Next.

3.. Proceed to Step 2 of the wizard and select the From the Internet
option.

The wizard displays a page where you can select the authentication method
that your Web site will use. This option specifies that your application
will use Forms authentication, where users will log in to the application
using a login page that you will create later in this walkthrough.

4.. Click Next.

The wizard displays a message stating that user information will be stored
using Advanced provider settings. By default, membership information is
stored in a Microsoft SQL Server Express database file in the App_Data
folder of your Web site.

Can this be done remotely .. and to a hosting company's site? (probably,
but i'm asking anyways, thanks)

sloan

Sweet!

Yeah, you're right...

//quote
3) Do it programmatically: Make a "Setup.aspx" page that uses the
System.Web.Management utility method:

Management.SqlServices.Install("server", "USERNAME", "PASSWORD",
"databasename", SqlFeatures.All)

This does everything that ASPNET_REGSQL does. You'd think they would make it
more obvious that you can do this, given the large number of sites that are
hosted by commercial shared hosting companies, but no, they decided to push
ASPNET_REGSQL as if everybody everywhere automatically has access to it.

That should be the more "advertised' method.

Thanks Peter!

sloan

Peter,

I ran your example .. .and got it up and running just fine.

(one small issue was that the tables were Create Table [Articles] .. .
instead of Create Table dbo.Articles ........ which causes a few issues
until I addressed it)
(I'm at the mercy of my hosting provider on that one)

The setup screen you had worked perfectly, and I saw all the tables get
created in the db.

http://comps.reasolns.com/deploytest/images/webAdminTool.gif

Take a look at that gif... That's where I'm still unclear on whether or not
you can use that functionality somewhere besides the development
environment.

Thanks for any input.

Sloan

http://comps.reasolns.com/deploytest/ is where I got your demo site working.

sloan

http://www.code101.com/Code101/DisplayArticle.aspx?cid=86

The mention of
http://localhost/MyWebSite/Webadmin.axd

is what is throwing me off.

Was that just a beta thing?

sloan said:
Peter,

I ran your example .. .and got it up and running just fine.

(one small issue was that the tables were Create Table [Articles] .. .
instead of Create Table dbo.Articles ........ which causes a few issues
until I addressed it)
(I'm at the mercy of my hosting provider on that one)

The setup screen you had worked perfectly, and I saw all the tables get
created in the db.

http://comps.reasolns.com/deploytest/images/webAdminTool.gif

Take a look at that gif... That's where I'm still unclear on whether or not
you can use that functionality somewhere besides the development
environment.

Thanks for any input.

Sloan

http://comps.reasolns.com/deploytest/ is where I got your demo site working.

Peter Bromberg said:
sloan,
See this recent article for details on how to set up the providers, as well
as how to configure the providers programmatically:

Peter

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com